Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk CAX30 password not working after Factory Reset

coawarren
Aspirant

Nighthawk CAX30 password not working after Factory Reset

I wasn’t able to connect to my 2.4ghz networks, but could connect to 5ghz. So, I did a factory reset to try fresh.

Now, the network and password printed on a sticker at the bottom of the Nighthawk CAX30 doesn’t work.

What’s strange is that the network name is wrong. It’s showing “NETGEAR” when it should show “NETGEAR50”

I’ve done multiple factory resets. Un plugged and plugged back in. And did a 30/30/30 reset.

I’ve also tried my old passwords and “password”. No luck.

I feel like I broke the router/modem. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
coawarren
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk CAX30 password not working after Factory Reset

SOLUTION:  Router defaulted to name: NETGEAR, but should have been NETGEAR50.  The password on the bottom sticker wasn't working.  This was after the 30/30/30 factory reset.

Password is: 1234567890

I was able to get this after buying an ethernet adapter and reseting the router settings online. Hope this helps someone in the future. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried hardwiring a pc/laptop into it and going through setup that route? 

then you can set your own ssid/password combo as well as disable/enable smart connect as you prefer

Message 2 of 7
coawarren
Aspirant

Configuring via Ethernet is my next move.  Annoyingly, I don't have the adaptor, so I'll have to wait till the stores open today. 

Message 3 of 7

I assume that you cannot connect to the wifi, even with the default settings.

If you can, there is an alternative to using wired Ethernet.

With a mobile device connected to the router, throw a browser at the usual routerlogin.net addresses. That should bring up the GUI that you get with the wired connection.

But wired is best and it is worth having that as an option.

Message 4 of 7
coawarren
Aspirant

I'm 100% sure "NETGEAR" is mine because they disappear when I do the reset. 

One extra thing is that I think I did connect to NETGEAR with the printed password. Even though it should have been NETGEAR50, I believe I connected (it was a long night, so I'm not 100% sure) 

However, when I started setting up the router with the Nighthawk app, the router reset, and the printed password stopped working.  

Message 5 of 7
coawarren
Aspirant

SOLUTION:  Router defaulted to name: NETGEAR, but should have been NETGEAR50.  The password on the bottom sticker wasn't working.  This was after the 30/30/30 factory reset.

Password is: 1234567890

I was able to get this after buying an ethernet adapter and reseting the router settings online. Hope this helps someone in the future. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7