Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orange light on CMD31T modem

Reid2
Aspirant

Orange light on CMD31T modem

This refurbished unit worked fine for a few minutes last week when I put it online with a new N600 router.  But then the connection stopped and I presumed Comcast did that automatically.   But today a helpful Xfinity tech ID#157919 spent an hour with me on the phone.  He says the modem is authorized, its MAC number checks OK.  We tried swapping cables, did a reset and also power disconnect/reconnect.  We took the modem to another room and put it in place of a working Xfinity TV modem.  But throughout the time of his session with me, the US 3/4 light would power back up to solid orange while the other three lights would go solid green.  I don't know anything about this stuff, but the Xfinity technician sure is earnest about helping, and is curious about this condition he cannot affect from his end, and he will phone me tomorrow to see what I learn from this community or from Netgear email support (I have just written them) during the meantime.  

FWIW,I just noticed that the (formerly solid green) US 1/2 light is now solid ORANGE, and the (formerly solid orange) 3/4 light is OFF.    

Ideas, please?  Thanks very much,

Reid

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Reid2
Aspirant

Re: Orange light on CMD31T modem

Thank you both above for helping.  This is a great forum.    

On reflection:  I thought the refurbished modem, which cost only $18.39 delivered by Amazon, was saving money.  

Now, whether it is defective or not, it appears money will better spent to just go buy a new modem, a Netgear CM400.

I'll keep the CMD31T,  which may be OK after all, for some day when I can access the diagnostics on a PC via ethernet cable as instructed. 

OTHOH, I will be back for help (you just know it), if trouble crops up in initializing the CM400, too.  :smileyvery-happy

Cheers to all

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Reid2
Aspirant

I have only a Chromebook and cannot connect it to the modem to help with diagnosis.

Message 2 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Reid2

You may need the cable tech to come check the lines could be to much noise happening for the modem to connect.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 6
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

US 1/2 Amber = only 1 US connected

US 1/2 green = 2 US channels bonded

US 3/4 Amber = 3 US channels bonded

US 3/4 Green = 4 US channels bonded

Message 4 of 6
Reid2
Aspirant

Thank you both above for helping.  This is a great forum.    

On reflection:  I thought the refurbished modem, which cost only $18.39 delivered by Amazon, was saving money.  

Now, whether it is defective or not, it appears money will better spent to just go buy a new modem, a Netgear CM400.

I'll keep the CMD31T,  which may be OK after all, for some day when I can access the diagnostics on a PC via ethernet cable as instructed. 

OTHOH, I will be back for help (you just know it), if trouble crops up in initializing the CM400, too.  :smileyvery-happy

Cheers to all

Message 5 of 6
Reid2
Aspirant

The CM400 just installed a few hours ago worked fine out of the box.  What a pleasure!  Presuming now that the CMD31T, which I bought as a refurb, was probably defective for its first owner too.   And I  learned a lesson: that cheap (CMD31T refurb. @ $18.39) can be really expensive.  

Thanks again for your helps!

Model: CM400-1AZNAS|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7