Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Security questions I never set up

areolata
Tutor

Security questions I never set up

I just purchased a brand new sealed C6230 from Best Buy and set it up a few days ago for Xfinity. I have internet functionality but I wanted to log into the modem to change the wifi SSID and password from the factory one. I can log in via desktop using the default "admin" and "password" credentials, then I enter the serial number, then it asks me two security questions that I never set up and I have no way of answering them. One of them asked the name of my younger sister but I have no such sister and never would have selected that question. If I install the mobile Nighthawk app I can't even get that far. I can't get past the first page because it will not accept the default "admin" and "password" credentials. I've already done factory reset on the modem several times and I see no way of setting up anyting through my Netgear account. I also checked my Xfinity account, to make sure there were no security questions that could have somehow imported into the modem programming, but I have no such questions there either. I have no idea how these security questions got associated with this modem. How do I get rid of these questions I never set up?
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Security questions I never set up

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 10 seconds then let go. Then log in to using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time setup the security questions and write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 2 of 6
areolata
Tutor

my desktop has always been wired connection and I already did factory resets 3 times per netgear phone support. same security questions still appear when I log in to the router. my only thought was that they were pulled from my netgear or xfinity account, this router shows as linked/ registered on both, but I do not find any such questions on either account. I am at a loss.
Message 3 of 6

@areolata wrote:
my only thought was that they were pulled from my netgear or xfinity account, this router shows as linked/ registered on both, but I do not find any such questions on either account.

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct. So, nothing left over from something else, or picked up from your ISP.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Netgear is making life increasingly difficult by changing the security to force you to set up password recovery. That is probably why it automatically asks those password recovery questions.

Another problem is that Netgear now wants us to use the mobile "app" to set up and control devices.

See if you can get in through this route:

http://192.168.0.1/debug.htm

or

http://192.168.0.1/adv_index.htm

Another thing to try is the Netgear genie for your operating system.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

That's a useful thing to have around anyway.

Message 4 of 6
areolata
Tutor

@michaelkenward   Unfortunately your two links do not work for me (file not found errors). And I installed the genie but it does not accept "password" as the password the same as the nighthawk app (both say login failed; please check password). However I can use "password" to log in directly to the modem from Chrome (bypassing Netgear apps) but then I encounter the two security questions. I have already done factory resets 3 times and it would not clear those questions when trying via desktop nor did the resets fix my inability to use the admin/password credentials on the nighthawk app. I will try few more factory resets and see if it makes any difference. 

Message 5 of 6

@areolata wrote:

However I can use "password" to log in directly to the modem from Chrome (bypassing Netgear apps) but then I encounter the two security questions.

Is there anything else on the network?

I assume that you have tried different browsers.

Have you tried accessing the modem/router without an Internet connection? You do not need this to change many settings on the device.

I have already done factory resets 3 times and it would not clear those questions when trying via desktop nor did the resets fix my inability to use the admin/password credentials on the nighthawk app. I will try few more factory resets and see if it makes any difference. 

I doubt if more resets will get you anywhere. As this is a new device, I would return it to the seller for a replacement.

Unfortunately your two links do not work for me (file not found errors).

That's odd. I would expect a the usual "page not found" or some other error. File not found makes no sense because that's not what the browser is looking for.

You talked earlier of "my Netgear account". Where did that come from? You don't need any account to get a device to work.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7