Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Network Drive HELP!

rainbow_brite28
Follower

Slow Network Drive HELP!

So i recently purchased the netgear C3700v router specifically for the USB port on the back, I also got a Western Digitial easystore 12TB harddrive. I connected it to my Netgear harddrive via readyshare and mapped the network drive. It connects to it fine and everything but when I try to read or write files to the drive it is sooooooooo slow! Viewing takes about 10 seconds for even the preview to show up when I click on it. Thats not too big of a deal but when I try to save images on it the write speed is so slow its in the KB per second range. Its not even fast enough to hit Megabytes per second. I have read over hundreds of forums to figure out how to speed up this process or even to determine why it is so slow to begin with! There are barely any files on it, as it is new and when I directly plug it into my computer the speeds are great. I am desperate to find out a solution as I need this for my in home business. Someone help me please! Thanks in advance!

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 3

Re: Slow Network Drive HELP!

@rainbow_brite28 wrote:

So i recently purchased the netgear C3700v router specifically for the USB port on the back, I also got a Western Digitial easystore 12TB harddrive.

What you actually own is a cable modem/router.

You might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device:

Cable Modems & Routers

I am surprised that you got a 12TB USB drive to work on ReadyShare. That is twice the size previously reported as working. Most people find that much above 4TB causes problems.

The size may explain this bit:

@rainbow_brite28 wrote:

It connects to it fine and everything but when I try to read or write files to the drive it is sooooooooo slow! Viewing takes about 10 seconds for even the preview to show up when I click on it.

You are asking a lot of this rudimentary network technology. For any heavy duty stuff, you should think in terms of proper Ethernet.

One problem with a cable modem/router is that you have no access to the firmware. That is in the hands of the Internet service provider. So you can't even contemplate third party firmware that might make things a bit better.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow Network Drive HELP!

Is the USB drive USB 3.0 compliant? IF so, then the USB port on the modem is only USB 2.0 compliant. Thus speeds will be not as good as USB 3.0 which is really fast and performs almost as good as wired LAN networking. USB 2.0 on the modem will be a bottle neck in some cases like streaming video. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/C3700.pdf

@rainbow_brite28 wrote:

So i recently purchased the netgear C3700v router specifically for the USB port on the back, I also got a Western Digitial easystore 12TB harddrive. I connected it to my Netgear harddrive via readyshare and mapped the network drive. It connects to it fine and everything but when I try to read or write files to the drive it is sooooooooo slow! Viewing takes about 10 seconds for even the preview to show up when I click on it. Thats not too big of a deal but when I try to save images on it the write speed is so slow its in the KB per second range. Its not even fast enough to hit Megabytes per second. I have read over hundreds of forums to figure out how to speed up this process or even to determine why it is so slow to begin with! There are barely any files on it, as it is new and when I directly plug it into my computer the speeds are great. I am desperate to find out a solution as I need this for my in home business. Someone help me please! Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7