Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

..:: THE INTERMITENT INTERNET C7000v2 SITUATION ::..

oreofudge
Aspirant

..:: THE INTERMITENT INTERNET C7000v2 SITUATION ::..

Hi Guys, a newbie here.

I've own a C7000v2 since Sep 2019 with service provided by Xfinity. I live in a 1100 sq. ft. open-area loft, so no issues with signal having to go through walls or needing to travel far to access.

Last Wednesday service was lost during the wee hours of the morning, I notice it since SmartThings hub and Google devices loses connectivity. After tinkering with the modem (unplugging, rebooting, etc), signal was reacquired and was able to leave home with device up and running. I did receive notifications later in day about SmartThings hub disconnecting, which usually means loss of internet access, but thankfully it got solved by the time I got home. On Thursday I did not lose connectivity, since no issues were reported. On Friday I did receive notifications throughout the day about intermittent connectivity, but once I got home no more issues. Then on Saturday morning I finally lost signal all day. Spent most day tinkering with the modem (unplugging, rebooting, etc) and in many cases was able to regain access, but kept losing it within minutes.

Xfinity had been aware since day one, they have been running their "tests", refreshing the signal, etc and confirmed there are no known issues with signal or crew working in area. We scheduled for a technician to visit my place on Sunday afternoon. Once there he checked all cables and confirmed signal was good at all points, and since unable to determine any issues with signal or cabling, he suggested that cable modem must had died on me. He left and that was that.

I went and bought a new cable modem (Arris), but when I got back home, still doubting my Netgear had died on me, I tinkered with it before swapping devices, and it came back to life. It has been working fine since last night, but this issue has me puzzled. I haven't returned the Arris yet, unsure if I should simply swap them and consider the Netgear is on its dying path.

Any ideas on why this erratic behavior, the intermittent signal loss, and then suddenly coming back to life as if nothing ever happened?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ..:: THE INTERMITENT INTERNET C7000v2 SITUATION ::..

May have been a ISP side issue and signal issue up to the modem that there techs may have fixed.

Can post the following and we can check some items on the modem side to see if things are ok with the modem:

https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

What channels are you using for the WIFI on the modem? 

Message 2 of 6
oreofudge
Aspirant

Thanks for your response FURRYe38, please find attached the info you requested.

ISP never said they actually fix anything in particular, only that no issues were detected. Technician that came in didn't find anything wrong with cabling coming into unit, or from there to cable modem, and since he found nothing wrong, he suggested the modem was bad, and recommended I went and get a new one; I did, but when got back home it was working. So who knows.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Power levels are too high:

https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router

Any Criticals, Errors or Warnings seen in the event logs needs to be reviewed and resolved by the ISP. Indicates a signal issue on the ISP line up to the modem.

Message 4 of 6
oreofudge
Aspirant

So your suggestion is to contact Comcast and forward them the screenshots I shared with you here? ...do any of the info suggests cable modem may be bad? Let me know, thanks.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

No.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series