Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time to update my system

Finghard
Tutor

Time to update my system

Hi all, I would like a wired setup with a WiFi access point. I would like a wired router with all the bells and whistles of the xr700 or xrm500 with more ports and then a hard wired WiFi point put in the middle of my bungalow. I don't see any sign of a gaming wired router any where by anybody? All have WiFi and a lack of ports the xr700 has more ports but does not incorporate mesh making this not future proof and the xrm500 has a lack of ports . Any thoughts as i need to upgrade soon due to working from home
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: Time to update my system

Why don't you get the xr500 and a switch (for more ports)? Then you could just add an orbi setup to it and run the orbi in access point mode. 

I haven't seen/heard of any dumaOS systems that have mesh like orbi so far. 

Message 2 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

External Gb LAN switches are inexpensive, you can get any model router you wish then connect up a external switch for more ports. I have 24 port behind my router. 

@Finghard wrote:
Hi all, I would like a wired setup with a WiFi access point. I would like a wired router with all the bells and whistles of the xr700 or xrm500 with more ports and then a hard wired WiFi point put in the middle of my bungalow. I don't see any sign of a gaming wired router any where by anybody? All have WiFi and a lack of ports the xr700 has more ports but does not incorporate mesh making this not future proof and the xrm500 has a lack of ports . Any thoughts as i need to upgrade soon due to working from home

Message 3 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

The orbi set up would be no more than a very expensive switch.
The night hawk switch and night hawk extender would be my personal choice but that still leaves the problem of the hub to feed the AP and switches.
The 500 just doesn't have the ports and the 700 doesn't work with the ex7700. Either unit I would turn off the wifi as it is in a dead zone in the house (celotex partition walls) and use the extender as AP
Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Again, external Gb switches are inexpensive to add on for additonal ports if needed. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS116v1.aspx

These come in 5 and 8 port if you need less ports. 

Message 5 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

At the moment I have 3 ports of my hub feeding three rooms which each have an 8 port switch . The fourth port feeds my sonos mesh . Of my computer room switch I feed two other rooms that also have 8 port switches . Everything will go through the hub and I require a managed hub/switch that works with the new nighthawk / duma system
Message 6 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

Most broadband accesses the house in the worst place for wifi outside wall corner room. I find it strange that my ideal setup up hasn't been contemplated before an 8 port non wireless, managed hub with an one of the ports specifically designates for wifi access point (One cat wire to the best position for your wifi AP) a master and slave setup
Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't need a managed switch for connecting rooms or devices behind the router. Nighthawk or Duma. Non managed Gb LAN switch will be all that you need. Mines a 24 port non managed switch. 

Message 8 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

Hi yes I understand 100 percent, that is pretty much what I am running . But the whole point is why should I need two units at the start of my setup.
Also I have found my latency increases for every switch i go through. Looking at your setup signature you seem to missing out your 24port switch do I presume this isn't netgear.
Message 9 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

How many other people have a similar set up ?
Why is there not a singular out of the box setup yet?
Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Latency isn't introduced by switches, can be caused by bad cabling and bad cabling termination jacks. I presume it could be caused by faulty switches or bad ones. IF your seeing latency after switches, you need to get this vetted out first then go for there. CAT6 or higher LAN cablng is recommended. I use CAT6A in wall and CAT6 for all other patch work.

I use D-Link DGS and HP Pro Curve switches. 

Suggested configuration would be a wifi router as the main host router, then connect up a external Gb switch behind the router to support your wired rooms and other wired devices, then you can get a EX model extender and configure it for wired AP mode if you like and put this in your remote location where you want wireless coverage. 

Message 11 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

Thank you for the info I will replace all the cables with better just in case. I am still leaning towards the 700 because of the ports but want the mesh of the 500 does anybody know if there will be a xrm700 . Surprises me that the gaming flagship has not got mesh ?
Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

The XR series was never intended to have MESH. That series is designed towards gamers. If you want MESH, you can install a XR series router and then turn OFF the wifi radios on the router and install a MESH system in AP mode. 

The Xr700 has wiifi AD which didn't take off and didn't get any traction. Kind of flopped. You'll be wasting your money on this router if you can't fully use AD. AX wifi has taken off and taken hold and theres more AX wifi supported devices. I'd probably get a XR500 and then install a Orbi AX system for MESH if you want mesh. 

I have XR450 and Orbi AX. Gaming router work well with Orbi AX in AP mode.

Message 13 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

Decisions made and items purchased and arrived. Iwill be installing at the weekend.
Xr700 x 1, Ex8000 x1, Ex7700 x1, S8000 x3, Sx10 x1,
Cat 8 cable interconnects and a roll of cat7 for re-pulling through my conduits as cat8 was to expensive per metre
I bought the ex7700 and then changed my mind and bought the ex8000. I will keep the ex7700 just in case I need it at a later date.
Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have gone with CAT6A in conduit then CAT6 patch cables between devices and wall and switches. Less expensive and does same job as CAT8. 

Message 15 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

I went with cat7 and 8 just for future proofing. Dont really fancy crawling around the loft in 10 years time lol.
Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 18
Finghard
Tutor

Over the last few weekends I have slowly been pulling wires and installing the system one room at a time. So far I am impressed with the xr700 and the s8000 switches. all of my wired lan has improved dramatically . My weak link was not my cable but was actually my tplink switches the s8000 have improved my speed by 80mbps and shaved of 10 from the latency. But I have come across lots of issues
1. Only the first installed s8000 shows in the win10 network the other 2 dont show but are working fine though.
2. I can not access the 2 s8000 as they do not show in the network only access the first installed switch
3. Ex8000 arrived non functional so had to install ex7700 in ap mode which would not go above 40mbps but wasn't worried as I was going to swap out with ex8000 when it was delivered. After installing the ex 8000 found this to be the same. Still not got to the bottom of this.
4. The ex mywifiext or nighthawk app after setup install is no longer accessible again unless you restart the machine. So checking settings are a complete **bleep** whilst I'm trying to work out why it won't go above 40mbps.
5. When leaving and coming home some units say no internet available. I believe I have solved this by making the units foget the network and log back in.this issue caused by using the same name and password during the constant reboots trying get the extender to use more than 40mbps..
6. The nighthawk app has never ever managed to load the device list. Always fails
7. The night hawk app doesn't interact with the switches which be useful as 2 are not showing on the win10 network
8. When ex mywifiext is not accessible it the extender also drops of win10 network
9. Dumas does not recognise any netgear items so have had to name them myself.
10. Boot time of the ex7700 and ex8000 is ludicrous considering what hardware is supposed to be inside them. 4mins on average.

So as you can see I'm am not impressed with netgear I have found its installation to be clunky its does not interact well with its own units its app to be flaky and the extenders do not do what they should do straight out of the box . I have spent just shy of £1000 to get all these issues I'm so lucky .

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7