Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using C3700-100NAS to extend a cable network via ethernet

weschum
Follower

Using C3700-100NAS to extend a cable network via ethernet

I have a C3700 which I was using for my Comcast service at my previous residence as modem and wireless router for my computers and mobile devices.  Just moved to a new place where there is an existing Comcast Business Class modem with four ethernet ports on it.  I would like to set up my C3700 as a wireless router that connects to the internet via ethernet through the existing modem.  Is this possible or does the C3700 only recieve internet through it's cable connection?  It seems to me that a $130 modem/router should be able to function as a router only but I can't seem to figure it out.  There are two ethernet ports on the C3700 but neither is labled for WAN and I can't find any settings within the 'Genie' to access internet from anywhere but the cable modem. 

PLEASE HELP.  

Message 1 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using C3700-100NAS to extend a cable network via ethernet

Hi @weschum,

Welcome to the community!

The C3700 can be used as an extender using an ethernet cable. Wherein the wireless signal of C3700 can be used to connect your wireless devices. All you have to do is to configure the desired wireless settings on your C3700. The C3700 does not need to be connected yet to the other modem you have when you do the configuration. Once configured, connect the C3700 to one of the ethernet ports on your new modem and the other can be connected to either of the 2 ports on the C3700.

Let us know the result.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
Bearc0025
Aspirant

So either of the Ethernet ports can be connected to the cable modem? I did this but am not getting connectivity. I have the Ethernet cable from my modem going to Ethernet port 2 on my C3700-100nas and my computer connected to port 1. No connectivity on computer or wireless. Plz help
Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Bearc0025 

The C3700 can not be used to extend the network it does not have a WAN port so it can not be used as a access Point.

DarrenM 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7