Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

moving a netgear router modem c7000v2

bobd23
Aspirant

moving a netgear router modem c7000v2

I set up my Nighthawk router modem model C7000v2 at a prior address.  We recently moved (same ISP), but I cannot get the router modem to connect.  ISP has confirmed there is signal to the new address.  All the lights are on on the router modem.  It looks like the router modem thinks it is on the old connection (shows the old network names) and, therefore, cannot connect at the new address.  Do I need to do a factory reset and start the set up from scratch?  Or is there a different solution?  

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: moving a netgear router modem c7000v2

Yes, try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can factory reset to get back to defaults but it should still connect. 

The ISP says there's service to the address but was it checked? Are they able to see/ping the modem when connected? 

did you connect right where the coax comes into the home so you ensure its not wiring in the walls or a disconnected splitter somewhere causing it? 

Message 3 of 5
bobd23
Aspirant

Yes, ISP checked and were able to see/ ping the router.  Yes, connected right to the main coax from the wall, no splitter.  In fact, the ISP screwed up and assigned my netgear router/modem to the location where we currently have service instead of the new location (haven't moved yet) and we got internet in the new location (even though the netgear app didn't show it as connected).  I called the ISP once we saw that the internet went down at our current location and they reassigned the netgear modem router to the new address and no internet.  Called ISP again, they made sure the netgear router modem was assigned to new address, they pinged it and said all is good.     

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sounds like they've been flip flopping it around in there system. If it was working before and then initially when it moved (but not back at primary residence) makes me wonder if you didn't get a poorly trained tech that messed up something in their system with the moving. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7