Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wifi extender with gateway security

bluenova
Aspirant

wifi extender with gateway security

Hi,

I am able to access the internet through my wifi range extender when the gateway security is turned off.

When I turn on the gateway security, then I am not able to connect to the internet through the range extender, but only when using the gateway directly. 

Here are the details:

The range extender is: AC750 WiFi Range Extender (EX3110), https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX3110

The gateway is: N300 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3000), https://www.netgear.com/support/product/C3000

I always enable the gateway security for the gateway wifi network, and everything works just fine when I connect directly to the gateway wifi. I am able to configure the access lists to make it work. The problem is only when I am connected to the extender wifi network. Then the gateway security does not allow me to access the internet. I have to turn security off to access the internet from the extender, but that is not what I want.

Here are the configuration details, and note that devices connect with the actual mac address, not a randomly generated one.

This is the wifi extender connected devices view:

extender-devices.png

Note the two virtual mac addresses of the extender NETGEAR63_2GEXT network: 96:A6:7E:06:C8:9D, 02:0F:B5:36:C8:9D, and it's IP 192.168.0.28.

The other extender network NETGEAR63_5GEXT is not used.

The gateway security is configured this way.

Access control:

acess-control-security-on.png

Note that both K51 and EX3110 are allowed and appear with the correct IP and mac address.

This is the wireless card access control list:

wireless-card-allow-list.png

Note again all mac addresses are listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0, EX3110|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
bluenova
Aspirant

Re: wifi extender with gateway security

I repost the pictures without actual mac addresses and IPs, as this is a forum requirement.

Extender devices:

extender-devices.png

Access control:

acess-control-security-on.png

Wireless card allow list:

wireless-card-allow-list.png

Message 2 of 3
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: wifi extender with gateway security

Hi bluenova,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

We are sorry for not being able to get back to you immediately. Have you tried turning the Access Control off? What is the C3000's wireless security type? Just to clarify, with the security enabled on the C3000 modem/router, the extender is connected but no internet access, is that correct? Was it both wired and wireless who doesn't have internet access when the wireless security is enabled on the C3000?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7