Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A few issues with USB Ready share on C7000 modem-router

Pipan
Aspirant

A few issues with USB Ready share on C7000 modem-router

Hi,

I have recently purchased this C7000, and I have had no luck with its USB ReadyShare. What happens:

I connected my USB 2.0 external hard drive to the USB port and shortly after it detected the HDD and I could see my files, without installing any software on my PC. But after some time, the device was not available/detectable. I had to reset the modem-router before it worked. Again after awhile stopped working. It seems that the ReadyShare is not reliable and gets disconnected frequently. I even connected another USB external HDD, which was newer than the first one and was a USB 3.0, and again no luck at all (even not detected once). I even decided to go ahead and use a USB hub to connect the two HDDs and a printer, nothing happend. Of course the hub is pretty old, probbaly 12-13 years old.

I was wondering how this can be solved (if possible at all), and also whether the router is desined to work with a USB hub to handle multiple USB devices simultaneously.

Thank you.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: A few issues with USB Ready share on C7000 modem-router

Hello Pipan

I would not recommend using a usb hub on the router but on the new drive did you format it for NTFS then plug it into the router? also are the external drives powered with there own power plug or are you using usb only to power the device you may need to use separate power.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
Pipan
Aspirant

Darren,

Thanks for your response.

I did not change the format as I was assuming that the format is already compatible. But other than that, the C7000 had detected the HDD a few times and I could acces files in it. So it showed an arratic behavior. And because I could access the HDD, I suppose that it received anough power. The light of the HDD came on as well. Interestingly, when I connected the HDD via the hub, the HDD started making some quiet noise.I googled it and found out that the HDD may not be receiving enough power. I changed the cable of the HDD (since it was not an OEM), and then the noise disappeared.

Does changing the format to NTFS affect accessing some or all files?

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Pipan

I found a KB that might help if you try these other ways to access the drive see that works.

http://kb.netgear.com/19113/ReadySHARE-access-not-working-on-Windows-7-OS?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 4 of 10
Pipan
Aspirant

Darren

Thanks for your note. I had tried accessing Genie App on my phone, but the Readyshare did not show anything.

I have Win 8 with downgraded optional Win 7. I tried those addresses in the link (without the \\) and neither could be accessed.

Message 5 of 10
ivork
Tutor

I have the exact same problem. When I restart the router/modem everything works fine but after awhile the readyshared USB drive disappears until I restart it again.

Message 6 of 10
Pipan
Aspirant

You are luckier than me. Ressetting worked for me for the first few days, but completely stopped. I even return the device and got another one, but the same problem.

Message 7 of 10
ivork
Tutor

I don't know about lucky. It only stays active for 20-30 minutes at the most... as it is now it's useless. I know it's not my computer because this happens on all the PCs in my home regardless of OS, setup, or configuration. When one get's kicked, they all get kicked. It acts as if I'm being logged out of the share. I've tried all the solutions I've found here on the Community Forum and I've had no luck. I'm thinking it's somewhere in the Netgear config or is a firmware bug. Anyway, I can't figure it out. Very disappointing!

Message 8 of 10
Pipan
Aspirant

I am disappointed too and I may return it again and buy another brand. The NetGear support was never able to give more profound alternative solutions.

Message 9 of 10
havdaddy
Aspirant

I have the same problem with mine.  Resetting works but after anywhere from 1-4 days, same problem.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7