Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Arlo/Netgear PGZNG1 (ADT Pulse) no longer connecting.

EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo/Netgear PGZNG1 (ADT Pulse) no longer connecting.

Hello, 

Not sure this is the correct place to post, but I'd appreciate some help if it is available. Setup:

Netgear CM1000 Cable Modem

Eero Mesh Router Network

Netgear/Arlo PGZNG1 V2 (ADT) Gateway

This is mainly a question about the PGZNG1 (henceforth: gateway):

Worked without a glitch for three years as my ADT Pulse gateway. Major brownouts have been occuring in our community. One knocked the gateway offline. A rookie tech has been out twice attempting to get it to reconnect. Everything else works fine (more than 30 devices are hoping on and off the network without consequence). No changes were made to any software or other hardware. Technician is claiming I have ports blocked (namely 80, 443, 554). Eero has no web interface, but no device or port has been blocked on the eero. I have created a created a reservation for him for the gateway with the correct IP address port forwarding 443 ->443 and 554 ->554. There are and were no ports blocked on the eero. Eero has verified this and my ISP assures me they have not blocked or filtered 443 or 554. 

My question stems from the fact that when the (Netgear) gateway is powered up and hardwired into the system it does NOTHING. Ther power lighty is solid green but non of the other lights come on at all for any period. 

Doesn't this sound like a bad gateway? Any tips/hints on resolving this stalemate? (Canyouseeme.net says the ports are closed, but they do for three different locations (friends) as well.)

Thanks in advance.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Re: Arlo/Netgear PGZNG1 (ADT Pulse) no longer connecting.

Sorry - was rushed in the initial post as dinner was being served. 

Just a bit more info on the setup (unchanged for three years except the power outage):

CM1000 -> eero gateway -> Linksys unmanaged switch 8-ports -> 8 Cat-5 cables runining to 8 devices, one of which is the gateway.

We bypassed the switch and plugged the gateway directly into the eero gateway:

CM1000 -> eero gateway -> gateway

and the result was the same. Just the green powerllight, no other actuvity.

At their (ADT's) insistance, I called both my ISP and eero tech support, both of which said there was no port blocking and no firmware upgrades dating back to before the gateway stopped working.

Hope this helps. Thanks again. 

Message 2 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact ADT about. Thats ADTs product. 

Message 3 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. Sorry the initial post was unclear. It was regarding an encounter with the ADT technician dispatched because the gateway quit working. They (were nice, but) left the visit inisisting I had ports closed and there was nothing they could do. Not sure there is any more that I can do other than what I already initially described. 

I was under the impression that (until recently) Arlo was a subsidiary of Netgear and the gateways with the model number PGZNG1 do carry either label (Netgear or Arlo). I cannot locate any technical info on the gateway (just a quick start guide), but it seems odd that the only thing it does when powered on is the power indicator light turns green; no other light even blinks even once. From this, ADT concludes that ports are blocked. 

Message 4 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

This forum is for Netgear branded cable modem products.

You might post here for Arlo products and see:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Forum-Discussions/ct-p/arlo-forum-discussions

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, Guru. 

Looks like I am in the middle on all fronts (ADT-vs-Eero, ADT-vs-Cox and Arlo-vs-Netgear...).

I did start at the Arlo Community. Searching for  'PGZNG1' yields zero results so I decided since Netgear does make the PGZNG1I would try here. (Sometimes the were embossed with Arlo, sometimes Netgear; mine was mfg in 2019; see https://fccid.io/PY312100192/User-Manual/User-Manual-1737475 ).  As you can see by the manual, they are simply black gateways that look just like a cable modem. I was hoping someone with a Netgear branded PGZNG1 might have some experience and be able to help. 

Regardless, I do appreciate you assistance thus far. 

Message 6 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried contacting Netgear support to see if there are any other avenues? 

Only other information I can offer is the following:

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 7 of 27
BrookHampton
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  My ADT pulse app no longer connects. The ADT Argo (netgear) gateway is offline. Every other internet enabled device works including my smart house Lutron connect and nest thermostats both on WiFi and remote.  ADT tech said ports are blocked.  I can not seem to find a valid tool for confirming if a port is open or closed.  Every online tool I try says ports are closed. Service provider said the ports are not blocked but as a consumer I do not know what to believe.  

Questions:

How does a novice check to see if a port is open on a network?

open at the modem?
open at my orbi router?

This seems exceedingly complicated for 2021.

I should not have to port forward as this was not done before.  The ports the tech told be should be open are

53 udp

123 udp

443 tcp

80 tcp

554 tcp

5222 tcp

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Message 8 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

@Guru. - Thanks and affirmative on your checklist. Still very puzzling and unresolved. I even put a new router in -line with only the ADT Gateway and my laptop connected - the device did not come up and the router did not see it. ADT is coming back out tomorrow. 

Message 9 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

@BrookHampton 

I feel your pain. Worked for years without a wrinkle. Suddenly - nothing.

Why when the device doesn't come up do they claim blocked ports? Never blocked any ports and didn't install any new devices that would latch onto them. I switched to an entirely different modem fresh out of the box and connected nothing to it except the cable modem and the ADT gateway and a spare laptop. It (the gateway) did not show up on the network. I wish I had something helpful to share. I am going to search for an app/site/method to see if it can display all ports currently being used, but I doubt this will help if a simple configuration like Cable modem -> new (non-wireless) router -> ADT gateway doesn't work. 

ADT out again tomorrow. Hopefully, we can come up with a resoultion. 

BTW, was there an event or change that caused it to fail?  Also, is your ISP Cox? 

Good luck!

Message 10 of 27
BrookHampton
Aspirant

My ISP is Optimum.

I am curious to find the official and accurate "port test"  have you had any luck?

Message 11 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

@BrookHampton 

You can try canyouseeme.net or yougetsignal.com, but I've had no luck.  I created a reservation to port forward the desired ports to the ADT Gateway, but none showed open at these test sites. I am not in any way trained in IT, but I thought for a port to be "opened" either a device had to send a signal to the router to use that port or you needed to port forward (direct) to the IP address of the device. If the device is not communicating, I would be surprised if the port showed as open - but someone more learned than I would need to confirm that simplistic view. In support of it, however, is that the only port I did and still have forwarded in my setup is a Plex server which DOES show up as open. Go figure...

There is one more thing that might be an issue. For the first three years we used ADT Nanos to runt the signal to the gateway. About two months ago I dropped a Cat-6 wire in that closer and switched to that source. The wire pegs out appropriately and a laptop tests out at DL/UL of 240/10 and has no problem surfing the web. This setup worked for 3 weeks befre the power surge took the gateway out. I am highly skeptical that could be it (the Cat-6 cable), but I will see that we try using a nano connection just for kicks. 

Good luck to you - if we resolve it, I will report on it. 

Message 12 of 27
BrookHampton
Aspirant

Interesting...

Since day 1 the Pulse Arlo gateway (made by netgear) has been connected to a 16 port netgear unmanaged hub.  It worked fine until last month.

Connecting it directly to an Ethernet cable going back to the Orbi router it connects to the internet and everything works with the exception of the WiFi booster and doorbell.   I could not get the doorbell or booster to connect. I tried running a second Ethernet out of the gateway to the switch but it does not seem to be a pass thru for connection.

every other device works on the 16 port switch except the ADT gateway.

I will order another switch and see if that fixes it.  I am surprised that it is not working guru the switch.

Message 13 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. All infomration is helpful. It sounds like you are further toward resolution if your hub connects when you bypass your switch. Also sounds to me that there are no ports blocked (unless the unmanaged switch is suddenly doing it). Intested in knowing if your new unmanaged switch takes care of it for you. 

When I connect the ADT hub (and only the ADT hub) directly to my router, thus bypassing the switch, I still get nothing. The hub does not see the internet.

Probably going to be a simple solution (ala headslap) when it is finally working, but I have never invested this much time in trouble-shooting one event. I've had 3 ADT techs have been dispatched and cant figure it out, so in between visits I keep trying. I even substituted a different router without any success. I guess it is possible I have a bad router AND a bad hub. We'll see tomorrow when ADT shows up again with a new hub to try with the new (backup/test) router. 

Message 14 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

@BrookHampton  - Just wondering if you've had any resolution as yet? 

Message 15 of 27
arun_baheti
Aspirant

I have the same problem. I did replace my cable modem and router, but everything on my network is functioning fine, just not the ADT gateway. 

Spectrum internet, cable modem

TP Link router

My laptop gets internet, my wifi Orbi router works great.  

Did you have any luck?

Message 16 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

I have had some luck, but I am not entirely sure if what I did was resonsible. I essentially tried every conceiveable configuration, bypass and process of elimination.

I did notoice problems with my cable modem only being able to lock in one upstream (US) channel. Hard booting it worked once or twice to enable it to lock into multiple upstrem channels and I was finally able to get green-dark-dark-green (G-D-D-G) lights on my ADT hub. I was told that the ADT hub should come up on its own once that lighting confirguration was acheived but it did not. Because the US issue was not stable I was about to replace the cable modem when I decided to double check every coax connection in the house (a few were not real tight). Still G-D-D-G on the ADT hub. Before rescheduling a tech visit, however, asked ADT tech support if the could reset the hub remotely. They perfomed a 're-condition' and voila, the hub came back on line. 

Not sure if that was it, but am happy to have pulse up and going again.  Good luck!

Message 17 of 27
arun_baheti
Aspirant

@EMH wrote:

I did notoice problems with my cable modem only being able to lock in one upstream (US) channel. Hard booting it worked once or twice to enable it to lock into multiple upstrem channels and I was finally able to get green-dark-dark-green (G-D-D-G) lights on my ADT hub....

Not sure if that was it, but am happy to have pulse up and going again.  Good luck!

Thanks for such a quick reply! I wonder if there could be issues with my Spectrum modem or my network configuration.  My network is Spectrum modem --> TP Link router --> {Orbie WiFi router; ADT Pulse}.  All devices are able to connect to the Orbie, but I am not getting the device lght to go on on the ADT unit. 

For now I have D-D-D-G. Very frustrating, but I'll take a couple of your hints and see what I can do.

Thanks again for your help, glad you are up and running!

Message 18 of 27
arun_baheti
Aspirant

OK, so I have G-D-D-G. Just spoke with them and she said the other lights should be green, she can't see the gateway so she can't do a remote reset. Sigh. Will keep exploring ideas, but welcome any wisdom from the hive.

Message 19 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry - it was a re-certification. (EDIT: Perhaps ask them to connect with someone in tech support that can do a 'recertification'). They were able to do so for me. I suspect that the monitoring service cannot see the hub. Good luck. If not, the visiting techs suggested they could do so when it turned up G_D_D_G. Be sure it stays that way when you power cycle it before you call. 

Good luck.

EDIT : Sorry - was being distracted earlier and thought I had dialed a different number). 

Message 20 of 27
arun_baheti
Aspirant

You're awesome, thanks again, will report back if I make progress!

Message 21 of 27
arun_baheti
Aspirant

Hilarious... the tech rep was a no-show for our virtual/phone appointment on Friday. I made another appointment for next Friday. Today, I thought about hard wiring the ADT gateway into my fully functioning WiFi Orbi, found a long cable, walked over to the ADT gateway and notice lots of lights are on. Login to ADT Pulse account and sure enough, there is my stuff. WTH? In the appointment I had used the words you gave me, wondering if the tech just did their thing remotely and decided they didn't need to talk to me. 

So, I have no clue why, but it is working now. I'm guessing ADT reset/recalibrated/whatever my gateway remotely. I wish I knew why/what, and I plan to keep my next appointment and hopefully talk to a tech so I can understand it all for future. 

Thank you, I'm going to give you credit for success. 🙂

Message 22 of 27
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Awesome. Congratulations and I hope it keeps working for you! 

Message 23 of 27
bkolak
Aspirant

Hello

I had a similar issue with ADT where all of a sudden my Pulse Gateway was not connecting a few weeks ago. 

The only way it would connect is if I was directly connected to the modem. The issue is Comcast will only provide you with a single public IP. If I want a second one I would have to upgrade to the business side for an extra 60 bucks a month.....

My setup is I have an half rack with an Cisco ASA, IPS Sensor, and 2960 Switch. On my ASA I had a rule for the Pulse to have the ports require open with a DHCP reservation on my domain controller. This worked for three years with out an issue until the pulse just stopped working. So I had a tech come out who has no training or tools to debug the gateway. They have to rely on a tier 2 for this... They ended up putting a new Arlo gateway in and it had the same issues. I created a rule with no filtering and it still would not work. It would again only work if directly connected to the cable modem. 

Had a second tech come out today. Same thing did not have the tools to do the job. I actually felt bad for him.  I kept asking for access to the logs to see what it is recieving from my dhcp server. They did not know how to provide this to me. So he left after no resolution.

I just got mine online. The issue was in my DHCP reservation I was providing the IP adress, Subnet mask, Gateway, Domain and DNS Servers. If I took out the domain name of my network and left everything else in place it work. Obviously something changed or was pushed since this will not just all of a sudden stop working.

Bryan

Message 24 of 27
arun_baheti
Aspirant

Thanks! Fascinating.  Same experience with a very frustrated ADT tech who came twice. This guy was very cool about trying things I suggested and letting me see his screen. But, no luck.

I realized that before I had a different cable modem which must have been a router and a dumb unmanaged switch. Spectrum changed my modem out to be, I assume, just a modem with one IP and no DHCP. So I flipped the switch to a simple TP Link router.  ADT still wouldn't connect up but all my other devices were fine.  I was going to set up a static IP address for the ADT device as my next step, but all of a sudden it is working. Maybe they pushed some generic update to all of us and you and I both got caught in it. Very frustrating to not understand what the issue was. I'm going to keep my appointment on Friday with virtual tech support and see if they can explain it to me.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7