Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C3700 Two wired PCs can't see each other on the home network

Homyakchik
Aspirant

C3700 Two wired PCs can't see each other on the home network

Hey again, all

Okay. Strange problem. In my house there are two wired PCs (my own and the School PC) and a bunchteen wifi devices (mainly tablets, with a couple of laptops and a phone).

After setting up the modem/router, including building an Allowed Access list (I don't broadcast my SSID, all IP addresses are handled through DHCP with reservations, and any MAC address not on the Approved List is denied access--all very gentlemanly), most things are working. Wife and kids report wifi speeds are better than the old Linksys, my own PC and the School PC both hit the internet; most is right with the world.

However: my PC and the School PC, the only two wired boxes on my home network, can not see each other. I have box-level shares set up (so I can look at school papers and such without having to physically go to that PC), and I use the free edition of Team Viewer to do a remote control/desktop setup on the machines used for home schooling. So me and the School PC not being able to connect is a big problem.

As said, both boxes hit the internet. I can see the laptops, the tablets can see the shared drives and resources on my PC--just the two landlined boxes can't see each other.

I've checked under Advanced | Security | Access Control. Both wired PCs (and my virtual Win2K box, pretending to be wired) are listed as Connected, which tells me the modem/router is actually doing that part of the job correctly. All the addresses in my DHCP Approval Reservations are between 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.130, so it's the same address range. But these two boxes that used to see each other now deny each other's existence.

What might I be missing that I can check to insure that these two boxes aren't located in some kind of sandbox to prevent them from seeing each other (on the same home network)?

Thanks!

Davey

Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: C3700 Two wired PCs can't see each other on the home network

Can the two PCs ping each other by their respective IP addresses?

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7