Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 AC1750 Missing 5G Channel on one of two computers

Buckeye57
Aspirant

C6300 AC1750 Missing 5G Channel on one of two computers

This is a little confusing so I'll try to break it down.

1.  I have the C6300 WiFi Cable Modem Router - Model C6300.  It has two channels, 2.4GHz and 5G.

2.  I have two laptops, a 2014 Dell (Windows 10) and a 2022 HP (Windows 11).  Both have been used on WiFi, sometimes simultaneously since Feb 2022 without  problems.

3.  In the past week, I've noticed my Dell has slowed down, especially when sending larger emails.  I ran speed tests on it and got 6 to 9Mbps download and .1 to .7Mbps upload.  To determine if it was the Dell, I ran the speed tests on the HP as well and got about the same results.  After troubleshooting and a source fix from Spectrum, I redid the speed test. 

Not much change on the Dell, but the HP was up to around 200Mbps download (more like it).  A little more checking and saw the HP was connecting to the 5G channel (as previously selected).  When I checked the Dell, it was on the 2.5GHz channel.  I normally had it on the 5G, but when I went to change it, the 5G channel no longer appears.  I've tried different ways to get the 5G to show up on the Dell, including trying to install it , but when I did, it said it was already installed.  I also checked on my smartphone, and it connects to the 5G.

So for the question:  Has anyone seen anything like this?  Could it be a C6300 issue (no longer connecting to my Dell), or does it look like a Dell issue?  For either one, does anyone have a suggestion?  

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: C6300 AC1750 Missing 5G Channel on one of two computers

Again, not sure what you were doing but you weren't connecting to the 5ghz with that wireless card. It has zero 5ghz capability. Its not something that a sneaky regedit/error can fix and cause it to suddenly see/connect to 5ghz. Its not possible because it requires the 5ghz hardware. And it doesn't have it. 

Maybe you'd misnamed your ssid from the router and just "thought" you were connecting to 5ghz but its not possible for it to actually do so. 

We can argue this all you want but it isn't going to get further than, "that card won't see 5ghz and won't be able to connect". 

In terms of your 2.4ghz speed, try going in and change the wireless channel it uses. Also, if you live in a rural area, you can uncheck "enable 20/40 coexistence". If you live in an area with a bunch of wireless signals, than leave it enabled. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What wireless card is in the device thats not working? 

Does that device see other 5ghz networks? 

Message 2 of 6
Buckeye57
Aspirant

Hi Plemans,

Thank you for responding.  The wireless card is a "Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)".  I realize that it isn't a 5GHz card, but the problem is, until a couple of weeks ago, I was connected to the 5GHz WiFi channel.  When I look at the list of available networks, the C6300 is listed but the C6300-5G isn't listed any longer.  There are other available 5G networks listed.

I ran a diagnostic and this is what it shows:

Profile: NG15
SSID: NG15
SSID length: 9
Connection mode: Infra
Security: Yes
Set by group policy: No
Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No
Connectable: Yes

Profile: NG15-5G
SSID: NG15-5G
SSID length: 12
Connection mode: Infra
Security: Yes
Set by group policy: No
Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No
Connectable: No
Reason: 0x00028003

I've looked around online and can't find what "Reason:  0x00028003" means.

Does this info help?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not sure what you were seeing before but you're right in that its only a 2.4ghz wireless card. It won't be able to pickup 5ghz signals. 

Its not a "software" issue. Its hardware. It doesn't have the hardware capability. 

so its not a router issue. 

If you're wanting it to connect to 5ghz, you'd need to upgrade the wireless card to dual band. Some of those older laptops its pretty easy/cheap to upgrade ot dual band. 

Message 4 of 6
Buckeye57
Aspirant

Thank you again for your assistance, Plemans.

I realized that I wouldn't be able to use the full 5GHz, but I was able to connect to it.  I was getting better speed tests with it than I am with the 2.4GHz.  I'll look into getting the upgraded card, but since I have an alternate (newer) laptop, I might just stick with what I have.  

Strange thing is I just ran another speed test and I've gone from around 6 - 9 Mbps to 27. 

Thank you again for your help and advice!   

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Again, not sure what you were doing but you weren't connecting to the 5ghz with that wireless card. It has zero 5ghz capability. Its not something that a sneaky regedit/error can fix and cause it to suddenly see/connect to 5ghz. Its not possible because it requires the 5ghz hardware. And it doesn't have it. 

Maybe you'd misnamed your ssid from the router and just "thought" you were connecting to 5ghz but its not possible for it to actually do so. 

We can argue this all you want but it isn't going to get further than, "that card won't see 5ghz and won't be able to connect". 

In terms of your 2.4ghz speed, try going in and change the wireless channel it uses. Also, if you live in a rural area, you can uncheck "enable 20/40 coexistence". If you live in an area with a bunch of wireless signals, than leave it enabled. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7