Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000 - Anyone successful in getting their ISP to update firmware?

C7000 - Anyone successful in getting their ISP to update firmware?

I have Spectrum(Time Warner Cable). I have contacted them multiple times about updating my firmware to the latest. Wow is this painful! I first get the run around from the first-tier agents that they CAN'T update USER-OWNED modems! Only the Spectrum modems. Then finally I get them to escalate the issue, and then they tell me their technicial department will update my modem. Yet here it is, still on older firmware!

Netgear clearly says to contact the ISP for updates, but this is not working out. I wish Netgear would post the firmware and allow end-users to update these modems.

My current firmware is: V1.01.15

Latest Spectrum(approved) firmware: V1.01.23

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

I've been having some connectivity and wireless issues, and was hoping a firmware update would resolve them. But I cant update, since the iditos at Netgear won't hand out firmware, and the idiots at Spectrum won't push updates out to USER-OWNED MODEMS!

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: C7000 - Anyone successful in getting their ISP to update firmware?

#1. On any DOCSIS modems, vendor will not supply FW. You can check Arris, Zoom, TP-Link, etc. We are not aware of anyone vendor who provide modem FWs online on the internet and at the same users have capability to upgrade it themselves.

#2. Comcast (one of the ISPs similar to Spectrum) have been certifying the FWs and pushing upgrades to EVERY CUSTOMER on their network. 

#3. It is Spectrum internal issues for not pushing the FW to their customers. NTGR goes through pain of certifying and even paying hefty FW certification fees ($$$$) to spectrum. Spectrum has not made good efforts on their ends to upgrade the modem FW. They have very lengthy process to update the FW. 

#4. I urge you to complain to higher ups in spectrum to speed up the upgrade process. 

#5. NTGR has done every effort in getting FW certified in spectrum and hopes spectrum will get their act together soon. NTGR has brought up this point with folks in spectrum but things still move at slow pace.

#6. I wish spectrum becomes as good as Comcast in supporting retail modems (but the actions speak otherwise).   

Message 2 of 6
RWEED
Apprentice

Same issue here, firmware is V1.01.15.

Ive called Spectrum many times, they say they will update and it never does.

Ive asked to speak to the engineering team to no avail.

Im pretty much at a loss at this point as this device becomes ever closer to becoming an expensive paper weight. 

Any suggestions? 

Message 3 of 6
bronzelincolns
Aspirant

i'm on the latest 1.01.23.

i'm on xfinity. didn't have internet at all yesterday. thinking it was because i had two modems registered to my account. my current modem is now erroneously listed under the name of the my previous modem. we'll see how the connection holds up, so far so good. 

Message 4 of 6
RWEED
Apprentice

I just happened to check and my firmware was now current! 🙂 Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 6
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like they certified the FW and are pushing it to people's devices. Seems like Spectrum is a big mess since Charter, TWC and Brighhouse merged under Spectrum brand so who knows what they are upto untill that mess is sorted.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7