Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 router won't access certain sites.

rudewarrior
Aspirant

C7000v2 router won't access certain sites.

I have a C7000v2 cable modem router. A few weeks ago, I have started being unable to access a couple of websites that I visit frequently. I started running tracerts and it would always time out at a specific spot. I thought that it would work itself out over time. It has not.

I started doing some searching on the Internet, and it seems that routers can block websites if you are accessing the same website from two different devices. Some solutions that were proposed:

1. Firmware: Firmware is pushed by ISP and is up to date
  2. Hard reset: Did that, no effect
  3. Clear DNS cache: no effect
  4. Change DNS settings to Cloudshare and/or Google: have done that, Internets actually work better now, but I still can't access those sites

I am kind of at a loss. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am relatively tech savvy compared to most people, but sometimes I will need a step by step explanation as to what to do. I'm hoping someone can help. I can't seem to find any other solutions.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
delkron1
Aspirant

Re: C7000v2 router won't access certain sites.

I am having the same issue. To make matters worse, the sites that I can no longer access are My Company!!!  I have talked with Spectrum for hours.  They will not update Firmware because the device does not belong to them.  Netgear will not do anything because I have had the C7000v2 longer than 90Days.  So what is the fix?  Purchase another manufactors product, or pay a monthly fee to Spectrum?  I am so frustrated!!!

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If the ISP won't update FW on user owned modems, then go with a modem only unit (CM series) and install a external router so you can control the routers FW. Something that ISP have no control over. 

@delkron1 wrote:

I am having the same issue. To make matters worse, the sites that I can no longer access are My Company!!!  I have talked with Spectrum for hours.  They will not update Firmware because the device does not belong to them.  Netgear will not do anything because I have had the C7000v2 longer than 90Days.  So what is the fix?  Purchase another manufactors product, or pay a monthly fee to Spectrum?  I am so frustrated!!!

Message 3 of 8
delkron1
Aspirant

Thank You for the reply.  So basically what you are telling me is I now need to purchase more items since NetGear does not want to correct the problem that clearly is an NetGear issue?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

It's not entirely NGs issue. DOCSIS spec have given policy to ISP to control the FW updates for user modesm. So user have no ability to push FW to there gateway modems or modems sans the CAX80 which now has the ability to let users upate the router portion of the modem. The modem portion is stil controlled by the ISP. Unfortuneately this new feature is only seen on the CAX80. 

So regardless, NG may have a FW version that may fix your problems, and the ISP probably has it in there hands, though the ISP your with chooses to not update user owned modems or gateway modems. So this isn't really NGs fault. It's how some ISPs are choosing to work with user owned modems, which IMO, is a bad choice on there part, FW updates should be pushed to modems regardless of ownership. I presume that the ISPs may have had this policy years back however may have been bitten by pushing FW to user owned modems and caused there modems to be damaged thus incurring costs to replace the user owned modems, so maybe one reason why some ISPs don't push FW to user owned modems anymore. There maybe some special cases where they might. This would be something you would have to escalate to the ISPs upper support or tech levels to check on. Other than this, it's get into a modem only and external router or get a ISP owed modem or gateway with the ISP your with. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@rudewarrior wrote:

I have a C7000v2 cable modem router. A few weeks ago, I have started being unable to access a couple of websites that I visit frequently. I started running tracerts and it would always time out at a specific spot. I thought that it would work itself out over time. It has not.

I started doing some searching on the Internet, and it seems that routers can block websites if you are accessing the same website from two different devices. Some solutions that were proposed:

1. Firmware: Firmware is pushed by ISP and is up to date
  2. Hard reset: Did that, no effect
  3. Clear DNS cache: no effect
  4. Change DNS settings to Cloudshare and/or Google: have done that, Internets actually work better now, but I still can't access those sites

I am kind of at a loss. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am relatively tech savvy compared to most people, but sometimes I will need a step by step explanation as to what to do. I'm hoping someone can help. I can't seem to find any other solutions.

Message 6 of 8
rudewarrior
Aspirant

Since I finally got a response on this, I checked here. I had thought about the FW issue before, but since it is pushed by the ISP I assumed it was up to date. Now you are saying that there is a possibility that NG had updated the FW and it hasn't been pushed down. I have been working with my ISP, but it boils down to a simple question:

Can you confirm that a FW upgrade has actually been released by NG that is higher than what my ISP pushes? I have talked to ISP customer support, and they are not geared for answering this question due to the same reasons voiced above. According to the wepage, my FW is up-to-date. I purchased my router on 03/03/19. I know that the FW has not been upgraded since then by my ISP. Can you confirm if NG has released an FW upgrade since then?

If NG can confirm an FW upgrade, then yes, that could be the problem. If the answer is no, then it is definitely not.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support or a forum moderator to see what the status is for the FW version thats most current for the C7000 series. 

@vkdelta 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7