Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 Xfinity New Firmware now Wan Light on Modem turns amber sometimes

martyr444
Apprentice

CM1000 Xfinity New Firmware now Wan Light on Modem turns amber sometimes

My CM1000 starting having Wan Light issues after recent firmware upgrade by Xfinity. The old firmware was Firmware Version

V3.01.04. Around 9 days ago Xfinity changed it to Firmware Version V3.01.06. Since they did that, there are times when the Wan Light will turn amber so I'm only getting 100M connection. The only way I get it to go back to a green Wan Light and 1GB connection is too unplug the patch cable between the CM1000 and my Netgear XR500 Nighthawk Router and plug the patch cable back in. Any ideas on this? Anyone else have the CM1000 on Xfinity and got the same new firmware and if so did it cause any similar issues? I'm not sure what this upgrade was for to begin with.
Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 1 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

how often does it happen?

Have you tried switching Ethernet cables? 

Does the WAN light on XR500 just turn Amber right in the middle of the connection. 

Message 2 of 14
martyr444
Apprentice

Its happened a few times since the firmware was updated on the CM1000 to V3.01.06. I have never encountered this before so I wasn't looking for it. I just happened to glance up at the modem and saw the light had changed from the usual green to the amber. It happened once yesterday so I checked the statistics on the XR500 Router when it was amber and it said the Wan was at 100MB. I also did a speed test that showed the limitation by getting speeds of 90MBPS compared to my usual 302MBPS. Its a quick fix to get it back to Green Wan and 1GB buy unplugging and then replugging the wan patch cable. I knew the cable was good but tried a different one just to be sure. I also called support and had them provision it to see if that helps since it has this new firmware. On the XR500 the lights are facing the wall and turned off so I don't pay much attention to those. Its the CM1000 Internet light that goes from blinking actvity green to blinking activity amber.

Message 3 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

100 Mbps vs 1000 Mbps Negotiation is done by both parties. 

You may want to do one check. Power cycle CM1000 and connect CM1000 to a Gigabit capable laptop for few hours.

If it stays green, then it is XR500 swiching mode.

If it switches Amber, then it is CM1000 switch mode

Message 4 of 14
martyr444
Apprentice

I'm just plugged in directly with my Laptop right now testing this. It just started with the CM1000 upgrade to Fimware Version V3.01.06. I never had this happen before this upgrade and its never done this with the previous V3.01.04 which is the latest version showing on Xfinity's Website. This is so new its not even listed there yet and that's why I suspect it as the reason for the issue that I've never encountered before.

Message 5 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

3.1.06 is not fully deployed yet. It will be very soon. 

how are you checking FW version on Xfinity's website? Please post a screenshot. 

Please let me know what happens after you check on Laptop test.

Message 6 of 14
martyr444
Apprentice

My mistake, its actually Netgears site.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Here is a screen shot of my CM1000. I will monitor connection directly from Modem to Laptop all day tomorrow as it can take a while for this to happen.

Firmware v3.01.06.JPG

Message 7 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Ok, please let us know if you see it with laptop.

Message 8 of 14
martyr444
Apprentice

Still testing......................

Message 9 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

has it happened with laptop? or not yet?

Message 10 of 14
martyr444
Apprentice

Hello, not yet. I did a factory reset on both the CM1000 and the XR500. If it holds up then my guess is some how the Firmware upgrade on the CM1000 caused some issue with the XR500 because it never had any issues with it before this. I do have a new issue but I'm not sure if I should start a new subject. We have been having TV/Internet issues for a while now and a maintenance/network tech was messing with inside of the box out in our front yard. Now my CM1000 is even worse than before with T3 timeouts and codeword errors. This screen shot was 5 minutes after he left after I rebooted both the CM1000 and the XR500. He raised the downstream power levels, but I'm not sure what else he did. The upstream power levels have been instantly goint from aroun 47 to 54dbmv fluctuating at different times. So far today its still at 46 so maybe he stabilized that issue.Uncorrectable codewords 5 minutes after reboot after maintenance 9-10-2018.JPG

Message 11 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

if you see, all your channels are not getting "uncorrectable". I am guessing he messed up the line instead of improving it.

Upstream fluctuation from 47-54 dBmV is not good. It is too much of fluctuation. 

Message 12 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

by the way, open a new thread of this.. lets keep the thread to original problem to avoid confusion. 

Message 13 of 14
martyr444
Apprentice

I'm going to move this over to a new subject.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7