Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM2050V Xfinity Voice Activation

Doug-48051
Luminary

CM2050V Xfinity Voice Activation

Reposted from General Forum

I just purchased a Nighthawk 2050V Modem with Voice. This device is to replace my Xfinity Voice modem. The 2050V is a modem only, I am planing on using it with my Orbi 850.  The Xfinity activation say it verified the account but Xfinity states the device is in bridge mode and appears offline to their network.

Netgear support states this is a modem ONLY and can not be taken out of bridge mode.

Question:  How do I get my ISP (Xfinity) to add this device if it is Modem Only is bridge modem?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Doug-48051
Luminary

Re: CM2050V Xfinity Voice Activation

Xfinity has to configure and assign the device manually.   But it works great now.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM is a modem only, there is no bridge mode to CM modems. The modem is only interface with the coax line to the ISP service is all. There is no built in router thus no bridge mode support. Whom ever at the ISP needs to check what they are doing again. Ask for someone else to help you. 

Message 2 of 8
quagmire1
Luminary

I have a CM2050V on Comcast, and it's fantastic*. I think you're going to be very happy with it.

To activate:

Assuming you have a computer with an Ethernet cable:

1. Turn off your computer
  2. Turn off CM2050V (if it's not already off)
  3. Attach Comcast coax cable to CM2050V
  4. Attach Ethernet cable (minimum cat 5E) between PC and CM2050V
  5. Power up PC. If PC is not using the default Comcast DNS server, change settings so it it is.  If you don't know what this means, you're almost certainly using the default DNS server.
  6. Power up CM2050V. Wait - the CM2050V may upgrade its firmware and reboot several times. The whole process could take up to 15 minutes. When all lights are lit solidly (except the Multi-Gig light, which should be flashing), proceed to next step.
  7. Go to any random web  page.  You should be put into Comcast's walled garden.  Sign in with your  Comcast userid and password. In a few seconds, you should get confirmation that your new modem has been activated.
  8. Power down PC.
  9. Power down CM2050V.
  10. Power down RBR850 (I think that's what you said you had in the other thread).
  11. Attach Ethernet cable between CM2050V and RBR850 WAN port
  12. Power up CM2050V.  Wait until it's fully booted
  13. Power up RBR850.  Multi-Gig light on CM2050V should turn blue to indicate 2.5Gbps connection.
  14. Power up your PC.

At this point, you should have working phone and Internet. It can take 24-48 hours for everything to get provisioned properly. For example, Xfinity Stream will probably think you're not on In-home Internet for a day or two. Don't panic, and don't call Comcast unless things really aren't working at all.

*Disclaimer: I was a beta tester for the CM2050V, and received my modem for free. Nevertheless, I think it's a top-notch modem, and I highly recommend it. 

Edit: added step 3 - connect Coax cable to modem.  I know that's obvious, but I just wanted to be complete.

Message 3 of 8
Doug-48051
Luminary

Thanks for the great write-up.

THE RESULT

Browers goes to Xfinity Activation page.

I verify account, then goes back to activation page..

Device is  listed as offline by Xfinity,stating it must be in bridge mode.

We know the CM2050V does not have a bridge mode.

As much as I hate Xfinity Tech screwing with my network, they are scheduled to be here in 5 hours, wish me luck.  I will keep everyone posted.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to get to someone ON the phone at XF and have them help you. These walled garden activation pages may not be working right. 

Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Please confirm you followed step 4 in @quagmire1 procedure?

After the modem has failed to activate completely a couple of times, have you done a full default reset before attempting the activation procedure again?

Message 6 of 8
Doug-48051
Luminary

Xfinity has to configure and assign the device manually.   But it works great now.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they are able to finally get it working.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7