Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM600 - Cannot open 192.168.100.1

CM600 - Cannot open 192.168.100.1

Today my modem stopped working, and my router freaked out too. (I thought the router was the issue, restored it to an older working configuration, and solved that part of the problem. LAN is restored.)

Entering 192.168.100.1 (or 192.168.0.1) on laptop browser, connecting directly from CM600 to laptop ethernet port, or trying to access it through the router - connection times out. Ping times out. Unreachable host. I have hard-reset it twice.

Spectrum tells me that it looks good on their end. The lights on the modem work, the ISP thinks it looks good, no access to logs or anything else in the admin console because the connection times out.

Is it a brick? Not the end of the world if so, but I only got a couple years out of it, and feel like that is disappointing. Anyways, any feedback on other things I can try or that I am SOL are welcome.

If I had a log to attach I would 😞
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: CM600 - Cannot open 192.168.100.1

So, I was unable to get a different result following that procedure. I ended up purchasing a new modem to solve the problem immediately, as we didn't have time for extended downtime.

The modem was entirely unresponsive to any attempt at accessing the administration console. That is the only obviously "broken" part of the device. Now that it is doing nothing, I will futz around with it, but I am not sure how much I will be able to do without an external USB. Of course, I may rip it apart and then I can USB into the mainboard (I am guessing) but not sure if I care that much.

Anyways, I wanted to share the results. If there is a method to tinkering with the device in an "offline" mode, point me in the right direction please 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The isp issues a public ip address to 1 device. And sometimes it can take a bit for that IP address to be released to be reassigned. 

Try this. 

Factory reset the modem with it disconnected from the laptop/router. Disconnect it from the laptop/router.

Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on. Let it reboot.

Then power off the modem and again make sure its disconnected from everything. Even the coax. Power off your laptop. 

Give it a couple minutes a minimum. 

Connect the coax back to the modem. 

Power it on. Wait at least 2 minutes for it to fully boot. 

Connect the lan cable to your laptop. 

Power your laptop on. Let it fully boot. 

Once its fully booted, then attempt to use internet/access the modems setup page. 

If that works, the modem should be fine and it might have just been the ISP not releasing the address. 

Message 2 of 6

Thanks for your procedure, I will work on it now. I have the ISP tech coming to check the lines between next 20min>100min, so I ought to have time for this process. I have done parts of it, including a full disconnect including coax, but I have not done all of it in the order specified.
Message 3 of 6

So, I was unable to get a different result following that procedure. I ended up purchasing a new modem to solve the problem immediately, as we didn't have time for extended downtime.

The modem was entirely unresponsive to any attempt at accessing the administration console. That is the only obviously "broken" part of the device. Now that it is doing nothing, I will futz around with it, but I am not sure how much I will be able to do without an external USB. Of course, I may rip it apart and then I can USB into the mainboard (I am guessing) but not sure if I care that much.

Anyways, I wanted to share the results. If there is a method to tinkering with the device in an "offline" mode, point me in the right direction please 🙂

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can try tinkering with it offline but you won't get very far. They do a pretty good job of locking down the modems as if people could tinker with them, they could set their own speed tiers. 

Is it still within warranty? You could always check your warranty status. 

Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process and check your warranty.

Message 5 of 6

It is well beyond the warranty period, which was only a year long anyway. New modem has a two year, and hopefully it lasts much longer 🙂

The homelab is back up. Hooray.

MB8611>SG-2100>Pi-Hole>Nighthawk MR/MS in AP mode

(getting the MR60 to broadcast internet can be a bit of a PITA at first, but it always works eventually. Oddly the satellite always works fine)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7