Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cm1150v, moved 1 foot higher. Now barely working.

Haloeye
Aspirant

Cm1150v, moved 1 foot higher. Now barely working.

So the long of it is, I got a new desk that required I move my modem. So I unplugged it, set it up on top of the desk replugged in everything. Coaxial, ethernet for pc and gaming console.  But now not only is the device not getting picked up for wifi, but even hardlined only my pc is picking it up and it's at a severely reduced speed.  It's like the modem has an internal chokepoint set up now. I have done a several resets and factory resets to no avail.  Can't figure out where things went **bleep** up in the five minute turn around time.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Cm1150v, moved 1 foot higher. Now barely working.

A couple things. 

The CM1150V doesn't have wifi. Not sure what your router is but the cm1150v doesn't have an integrated router. 

Also, if you only unplugged it and moved it, I'd be checking out the coax cable, connectors, and wall outlet. it wouldn't be the first outlet that had the coax cable loosened or pulled out far enough to cause signal degradation. 

Do you have a scren snip of the modem cable connections page? that lets you check signal quality/strength. 

What router do you have connected to it?

Message 2 of 12
Haloeye
Aspirant

It is an AC3200 SmartWifi, R8000.  An yeah, I don't know why I thought it did. I have checked the cables several times. I am getting internet, but it only seems to be coming through enough for my computer. When I try an connect my xbox I get a DCHP server not found.  Also been getting a lot of drop outs.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

@Haloeye wrote:

It is an AC3200 SmartWifi, R8000.  An yeah, I don't know why I thought it did. I have checked the cables several times. I am getting internet, but it only seems to be coming through enough for my computer. When I try an connect my xbox I get a DCHP server not found.  Also been getting a lot of drop outs.

How do you have devices connected directly to the modem? Your description makes it sound like you do.  

the CM1150V has more than 1 ethernet port but most ISP's only support 1 device connected to it. Meaning they only give 1 assigned public ip address. If thats the pc and not the router, nothing else will work. 

So make sure to go modem---->router----->devices

don't connect anything to the modem other than the router. 

after reconnecting things. reboot the modem and router. 

Message 4 of 12
Haloeye
Aspirant

I had them open/assign to the other ports when I called. Though that could've changed. I was having connectivity issues between the modem and router, so I just said **bleep** it and asked them to open them all so I could hardwire them all too it.  I see, I see.  So make sure just the modem and router are hardlined, reset them both, and then just wait for them to reset?

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

who's your ISP? 

Its rare to find one that will assign more than 1 public ip address unless its a business class line or you pay for the extra IP addresses. 

What connectivity issue where you having between modem---router? the one we're discussing now? 

did you have a screen snip of the modem cable connections page? 

Message 6 of 12
Haloeye
Aspirant

Xfinity, all I know is that previously I had 3 devices connected too my ethernet ports an they all worked fine. Alright, so right now I am suppose to be getting a 1gb, but for some reason Fast.com is reporting it at 320mbps, but if I go an use the xfinity verison it says that I am getting just under a gig.  Using the AC3200's wireless is working for my xbox.  But my computer doesn't have a wireless adapter, an it is now hardlined into the AC3200.

Edit:  Yes, the issue I am having now is the same has before. Where I was getting a reduced output from the modem to the router.  Now it seems that I am just getting a reduced output overall.

Message 7 of 12
Haloeye
Aspirant

Is this what you were looking for in regards to the modem?  I apologize for slow replies, still having some lag time in loading up pages

Message 8 of 12
Haloeye
Aspirant

Seems like I may have worked out the issues just from talking to you and also previous experience.  Not a hundred percent sure though.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

you didn't get all of the cable connections page but you said you have it working? 

Did you get your speeds up? The CM1150v should easily support gigabit speeds

Message 10 of 12
decosse
Apprentice

@Haloeye wrote:

Fast.com is reporting it at 320mbps, but if I go an use the xfinity verison it says that I am getting just under a gig

As already advised, you need to connect ONLY the Router to the CM1150V and then ALL your devices to the AC3200, whether wired or wireless 

The reason you are probably seeing lower speed with fast.com is down to whatever server locations you are connecting between; with Xfinity Speedtest it will select the closest server for testing. 

I just ran test with fast.com - compare to an Ookla Speed Test where it is connecting to a local server 

See attached image - 290 vs 601 Mbps i.e. fast.com reporting about half the speed to their server 

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

I must have missed the speedtest post. My bad. fast.com and speedtest.com dont' always pick the fastest server. If xfinity's site is hitting gigabit speeds, then its providing the speeds. Not all servers/websites will max out gigabit. 

xfinity, dslreports, and speedtest.googlefiber.net are the only ones I've found to reliably get close 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7