Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does a CM1150V work well with Orbi?

Brannon132
Aspirant

Does a CM1150V work well with Orbi?

Hey guys I’ma networking rookie so please speak down to me.

I have Comcast 1 gig business internet and an Orbi 5300 connected after their modem/router at my house. (Only way to get Comcast to my house). Right now I have it in pass through and I’m having problems with “double nats” and inconsistency when I put the Orbi in ap mode and Comcast said that they do not support bridge mode on that modern/router.

I was planning on upgrading to the Orbi WiFi 6 rbk853 would it makes sense get a cm1150v at the same time?

Does this seem like a good pairing and fairly easy to use and set up?

Feel free to ask me other questions and if you have any info to add I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help,
Brannon
Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Does a CM1150V work well with Orbi?

the CM1150V is a solid modem. 

I don't have it but I've heard good things about it. I've got the cm1000 and cm1100. 

Do you mean you have the RBK53? I don't see and Orbi 5300

If so, its a pretty solid system. I've used it on gigabit and had great luck/performance with it. 

do you have many AX devices? Just curious whats driving the upgrade to the AX. 

You might try the upgrading the modem and seeing how your system performs.

Another through is, have you tried placing the Orbi's IP address in the xfinity's dmz? 

Message 2 of 6
Brannon132
Aspirant

I have the RBK 43, I don’t have any ax devices but I have 4 kids and my father in law has cancer and is moving into our motor home outside the house and instead of buying another satellite I was hopping on pushing the Internet to him with the RV’s 853 and from my understanding the rbk853 has better range then mine does, is this true?
As far as the dmz I’m not sure how to do that. Do I need to get a static ip because I don’t have one as of right now?
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Brannon132 wrote:
I have the RBK 43, I don’t have any ax devices but I have 4 kids and my father in law has cancer and is moving into our motor home outside the house and instead of buying another satellite I was hopping on pushing the Internet to him with the RV’s 853 and from my understanding the rbk853 has better range then mine does, is this true?
As far as the dmz I’m not sure how to do that. Do I need to get a static ip because I don’t have one as of right now?

The AX devices only have better distance because they are a little more efficient with lower signal connections. Their actual broadcast power is set by the FCC and the RBK43 already maxes those out. So it isn't a power issue. If you don't have wireless out to the mobile home, you're probably not going to get much better with the AX orbi. You'd be better off to try to run an underground wire to it. Or use a powerline or moca adapter to get internet out there and then add a satellite. 

The dmz just forwards all requests to a set IP address without filtering. so you can set your primary orbi's address into the xfinity's dmz and it'll auto forward everything to the Orbi that is using it. 

Message 4 of 6
Brannon132
Aspirant

So the cm1150v isn’t supported by Comcast business so I got the cm1200. I got it hooked up and working. I do have a question though for my computer, Xbox one and my Apple TV do I hardwire these to the cm1200 modem or to the Orbi?
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

The orbi. 

The CM1200 isn't a router so you'd want them connected to the orbi. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7