Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update c7000v2

Bigmal888
Initiate

Firmware update c7000v2

So I was wondering what I should do if spectrum my isp does not know how to fix my firmware not updated issue on my Nighthawk Cable Modem Router. Any thoughts about next steps? Or any new developments on getting this issue fixed? 

I called spectrum and they seemed so clueless as if they were just getting the memo about them updating my modem router firmware. 

Bigmal.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware update c7000v2

Is your modem having problems or no? 

FW updates only come from ISPs, there are no user FW updates on cable modems. This is standard ISP policy. 

Message 2 of 6
Bigmal888
Initiate

I understand what your saying but here is the issue. I tried connecting the netgeat app on my phone and ipad to my modem router and they both say that my firmware is out of date. I called the ISP and they have no clue how to fix the issue. I called netgear and they told me to call the ISP. I am trying to see if anyone was able to get this issue resolved and how???

Thank you

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ignore the FW notices ON the app. Others have posted about this and seems to be a known thing with this apps. False positive. 
There is NO way to update FW by a user on these modems. NG needs to put in some code to look for these models and check FW version and compare to what is approved by the ISP or tell the app not to show the notification if it doesn't meet better FW check criteria. 

Ignore the notification. 

Message 4 of 6
ecc135
Aspirant

I think Netgear should tell the ISPs its not their business to update end user device FW - My ISP allows me to bring my own device but they have no clue how to update FW and since Netgear decided they didnt need that capability for the end user because they assume my ISP (Spectrum , yes I know they suck) could handle it , Im stuck with older FW on my router and really dissapointed in both Netgear and my ISP. Does Netgear actually do anything to enable these ISPs to update FW - seems like Im not the only one with this issue. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

NG develops the modem FW, however they send it to the ISP for additional testing and certiifcation on there networks. Its the ISP responsibility to test the FW and push out to users modems. However be aware that some ISP may not support or push FW to user owned modems. Thats there call. Most ISP are aware of DOCSIS modem and FW policies. If there not, then thats there problem. 

Who's your ISP? 

Are you having problem with your modem? 

If so give details. Just because you maybe having problems doesn't mean FW will fix it. 

@ecc135 wrote:

I think Netgear should tell the ISPs its not their business to update end user device FW - My ISP allows me to bring my own device but they have no clue how to update FW and since Netgear decided they didnt need that capability for the end user because they assume my ISP (Spectrum , yes I know they suck) could handle it , Im stuck with older FW on my router and really dissapointed in both Netgear and my ISP. Does Netgear actually do anything to enable these ISPs to update FW - seems like Im not the only one with this issue. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7