Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lan configuration options c7000 modem/wifi router

Jax2_0
Aspirant

Lan configuration options c7000 modem/wifi router

I jave the c7000 nighthawk modem with wifi router and would like to use it as a modem to connect my tv connected to ethernet port on modem as a peripheral device (screen mirroring ) while using my phone or tablet via wifi router(host device). I do not have a computer i use tablet as computer and i do not have it setup to use connected via ethernet. I do have netgear genie app installed on host device/ tablet, and can access myrouterlogin via internet on tablet. I can see ip address of each device. How do i mirror or stream from wireless host device through modem via ethernet connected to tv? It is not a smart tv but it does have internet and also has wifi capabilities but my tablet does not see the tv. It is a sony bravia tv circa 2012 and a shield k1 tablet built in 2016. I also have galaxy s7 and it does not see the tv either. I have wifi turned on in setting of tv. Can i use rtsp, protocals or some other connection protocals? I also do have chromecast enabled on modem settings. All tutorials only specify all devices connected wirelessly or using ethernet connected host and wireless tv connection. Is this possible or do i have to use wireless connections? I do not want to rely on wifi fully. I want to prevent security risks and i want to lower cast delays. Any help would be greatly appreciated just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you for your time.
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Lan configuration options c7000 modem/wifi router

Hello Jax2_0

You should be able to connect your smart TV using the Ethernet if you are using the C7000 as your main router. Do you have another router in the mix or not?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Jax2_0
Aspirant

Re: Lan configuration options c7000 modem/wifi router

No sir at this time only the c7000. Yes i can gain internet access for tv with ethernet or with wifi. I can link phone to tv via wifi direct also. The tv is not a smart tv unfortunately. It has miracast protocols,but it appears these protocols have been dropped by oem. Only smart tv , smart view are preinstalled on phone by oem. On tablet i can connect with tv using wifi direct. I can not screen cast with tablet because wifi is disabled when wifi direct connection is made. Weird that doesnt seem correct but is what preinstalled is doing.
I can probably get a cmromecast dongle and install app on device and connect this way to tv. The tv says it can allow rendering but the correct software must be installed on host device. It does not say what the correct software is though. Alternatively with a computer i could connect to hdmi and screen render via the hdmi port.
The desire was to create a connection at the modem using the modem as a lan hub. Point tv to modem as hub point tv to device as host by entering ip addresses, as i do not know any other method as to how to do it. The tv however wishes to look for dns and not allowing host device to be source. This must be due to tv being an internet tv and not a smart tv. Support for the tv through oem has been drop and is proprietary so no information is available beyond fcc filings.
Third party linux support is only available as a dongle connection. Due to lack of support from tv oem i was hoping to connect by creating a lin type connection so to speak.Use of the ethernet connection seems to be the wrong method. A hdmi connection to pc seems to be the only good approach. I was hoping to do more with phone or tablet but looks like a pc will be required to be used as the hub and use gstream to connect phone or tablet to pc then use pc software to send render mirror image to tv. Was hoping for a more direct approach. Phone or tab input signal to router/modem modem output signal to tv. Wifi direct would be ok if tablet could connect to wifi and wifi direct simultaneously. The tv is a bravia kd46nxl720 built in 2012 using mitsumi dwmw046 wireless lan card. No other information was found while search for specs. The primary goal was to use tablet as host while using touch screen controls and sending screen mirror image to tv. Perhaps a different interconnect device could be used to connect home network. The home network approach was being looked at as a master device/slave device. Thank you for responding. If you know of a way to set up a home network using modem as the hub and still allowing master/slave configuration with master connected to network as a wireless device let me know. But i think it will require all slaves being connected wirelessly. Funny used to be everythimg had to be connected wired. I assumed tech had both options possible by now. But looks like the approach as moved to all wireless and mixing wired and wireless inter-connections is not supported. Would have thought the modem would not look at it differently it should see that the device is connected and allow lan configuration. It probably is possible but very specific details to do so manually are probably required.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7