Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR CM400 only getting 24mbps

wmolebash
Follower

NETGEAR CM400 only getting 24mbps

I have a NETGEAR CM400 that purchased in 2016 because I felt it would be pretty future proof. So far, I've been very happy with it.

Today, I called Spectrum to see if there were any new promotions or packages that would save me money or increase my speed. When we originally signed up, we paid $50/month for 25mbps. I would typically get around 17mbps, which I was happy with. Now we're paying around $70/month for the same service (I assumed the promotional period was over).

Long story short, the first representative I spoke with told me I was now paying $70/month for 100mbps. I told her I was only getting 24, and she transferred me to a technician. The technician told me I was only "provisioned" for 24mbps, and that a sales rep could help me. The sales rep told me that my modem was outdated and not compatible with Spectrum's 100mbps service. This sounded fishy to me, especially since the CM400 is advertised at speeds over 300mbps.

Anyway, is there something I can do to ensure that my modem is operating closer to 100mbps? What does "provisioning" mean in terms of a modem?

Model: CM400|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: NETGEAR CM400 only getting 24mbps

I couldn't find anywhere on spectrum what actual speed they support on this.

They can reprovision the modem. Provisioning is basically the firmware/settings that are for the speed you're paying for. 

The technician should have been able to re-provision the modem. 

Also, make sure you're speed testing directly connected to the modem so you can be sure it isn't the router slowing you down. 

Message 2 of 8
NashDavid
Tutor

Re: NETGEAR CM400 only getting 5 upload, good download

I was having disconnects when working remotely and zooming. Speedtest shows slow upload speeds, about 5, all locations, all computers.

Comcast says "there's a modem problem". I can't get ethernet to connect directly.

Failed modem?  How can I tell before I buy a new one to see?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: NETGEAR CM400 only getting 5 upload, good download

@NashDavid wrote:

I was having disconnects when working remotely and zooming. Speedtest shows slow upload speeds, about 5, all locations, all computers.

Comcast says "there's a modem problem". I can't get ethernet to connect directly.

Failed modem?  How can I tell before I buy a new one to see?

Again, you need to look at your subsribed upload speeds. many plans on like 100mbps down and 5mbps upload. or 200mbps down and 10mbps up. 

I pay for 1gig (1000mbps) and only get 30mbps upload. Its significantly worse upload becaue its cable and not fibre.

That's what I want you to check. 5mbps might be your upload speed. 

You can also log into the cm400 and check its cable connection page. Take a screen snip of it and post it back here. that lets us get a snap shot of your cable connection. 

And when you connect a pc directly to the modem, you'd need to reboot the modem. Anytime you change what the modems connected to, reboot it. 

Message 4 of 8
NashDavid
Tutor

Re: NETGEAR CM400; Cause of frequent disconnects?

You were correct, my plan only allowed 5 mbps upload. The problem is disconnects and problems with Zoom disconnects, delays.  Slow speed was initially suspected; the Comcast person checking remotely said there was a modem issue. 

How can I tell if it's the modem?  The big cost of a new modem is the time spent with Comcast activating it.  Considering new modem and/or going to ATT fiber...  and increasing Comcast speed.

Haven't been able to direct connect to modem yet, son is working and don't want to interrupt...

Ideas appreciated...

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

so the question comes down to modem or router. 

The modem basically provides what speeds it can. 

If your subscribed to 100/5 service and the modem is providing it, then its either a router issue or you need to upgrade your speed. 

Try your zoom meetings hardwired into the modem. If everything works fine, then the bandwidth is plenty and its a router issue. 

What router are you using? 

Were you getting the full 100mbps download? 

Are you zoom meeting on 2.4ghz, 5ghz, or wired?

Message 6 of 8
NashDavid
Tutor

Linksys ac3200
My zoom is 2.4. My sons have frequent disconnects on 5.
So will buying a better modem/router (suggestions) and upgrading to 300/15 fix it?
Getting full 100 on 5 when close to router.
Thx!
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Again, try the zoom hardwired in. The max bandwidth (supposedly) for zoom running in 1080p is 3mbps.  

https://www.reviews.org/internet-service/zoom-technical-requirements/

If you're only running 1 zoom meeting at a time, you should be able to hit that. running multiple and you could be short on upload bandwidth. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7