Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not getting correct speed with Comcast

jetserf
Aspirant

Not getting correct speed with Comcast

Hello all

In November I saw that Comcast offered a higher tier internet service in my neighborhood. Speeds are advertised up to 986 Mbps. Since I signed up I’ve only seen 350-400 Mbps.

I had a couple of online chats and phone calls with Comcast. I also had two techs come to the house to check the signal to the house. The second tech said that Comcast had to approve new firmware for my CM1000 modem (this was in December). He said that once Comcast approved the firmware then Netgear would push the upgrade to my modem directly.

I called to try to get credit for billing since I wasn’t getting the correct speeds and I was forced to chat with Comcast tech support again. The tech sent me a link to the Nighthawk X6 router firmware page to update my CM1000 cable modem 😐
When I told them it was the wrong equipment they told me to contact Netgear directly to receive my firmware update. I sent this link to him.
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CM1000#download

It says “Current Versions

Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP. For more information, please see our Knowledge Base .”

He just told me to talk to Netgear 😐

Has anyone had any success getting advertised speeds with Comcast Gigabit Internet?

Thanks for your time
Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 1 of 7
roger1955
Apprentice

Re: Not getting correct speed with Comcast

wrote:
Hello all

In November I saw that Comcast offered a higher tier internet service in my neighborhood. Speeds are advertised up to 986 Mbps. Since I signed up I’ve only seen 350-400 Mbps.

I had a couple of online chats and phone calls with Comcast. I also had two techs come to the house to check the signal to the house. The second tech said that Comcast had to approve new firmware for my CM1000 modem (this was in December). He said that once Comcast approved the firmware then Netgear would push the upgrade to my modem directly.

I called to try to get credit for billing since I wasn’t getting the correct speeds and I was forced to chat with Comcast tech support again. The tech sent me a link to the Nighthawk X6 router firmware page to update my CM1000 cable modem 😐
When I told them it was the wrong equipment they told me to contact Netgear directly to receive my firmware update. I sent this link to him.
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CM1000#download

It says “Current Versions

Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP. For more information, please see our Knowledge Base .”

He just told me to talk to Netgear 😐

Has anyone had any success getting advertised speeds with Comcast Gigabit Internet?

Thanks for your time

Just got the CM1000. Getting constant +940 up / +40 down
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 3.03.23 PM.png

Message 2 of 7
roger1955
Apprentice

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have Comcast/Xfinity  gigabit internet. Just turn in that piece of junk that's called an Advance Gateway (XB6) and bought the Netgear CM1000. Current firmware is V3.01.04.  It's primetime right now, my son is on the PS4, my wife is streaming thru Amazon Fire Stick and I'm web browsing. 3 speed test and I'm hitting +800 down / usual +40 up at this time. Earlier was maxing out at 940 down. I do have an advance tri-band router doing the smart connect thingy. To answer your question, I'm getting the advertised speeds.

What have you done as far as troubleshooting? What router are you using? Have you plug the computer ethernet cable straight into the modem ethernet port and did a speed test. Everytime you connect differently you must reset the modem by unplugging it for a few seconds. I would unplug the modem then the router for about 30 seconds then plug the modem in first let it cycle up then plug in the router. Then check your speed. If that doesn't bring you up to snuff. I would reset both router/modem.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.05.36 PM.png

Message 3 of 7
jetserf
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I’ve connected the CM1000 directly to my computer and power cycled it. I can get 40 Mbps uploading but usually only in the 250 Mbps on the download side. I use an Orbi RBK50 with one satellite for my router. I used to have a Comcast gateway but it didn’t work correctly with the Orbi so I turned the gateway in and bought the CM1000.

I’m not home at the moment but i’ll check my firmware version when I get home. If it’s different from .04 I’ll press Comcast to push the update to it.

Message 4 of 7
roger1955
Apprentice

It must be your computer, maybe its not capable of higher speeds, the NIC might be 10/100 not 10/100/1000. You need to verifiy your computers capabilities in that area. Here's a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_controller

Message 5 of 7
jetserf
Aspirant

The motherboard is older, I bought it in 2011, but it’s a Asus P8P67 Delux.  The specs say it’s Dual 10/100/1000Mbps.

Message 6 of 7
roger1955
Apprentice

Check to see if it's set to auto negotiate or something else. If it's auto negotiate set it to full duplex (1000) I believe, or vice versa. I would also try using another computer/laptop to eliminate one side of the problem.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7