Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ports appear blocked

Pookadeli
Aspirant

Ports appear blocked

I am trying to run a game. The game ran great when I was with AT&T and I put the router/modem combo into pass through mode. I now have since moved and can only get Cox Communications. The game does not seem to work as well, I am having latency issues. I tried to forward the ports recommended by port forwarding.com. But when I ran the application, checked the port number through cmd netstat and then typed that number into a bunch of port checker tools along with the IP address from my router it always said port blocked.

I then suspected router was not forwarding properly so I removed the router from equation and connected directly to modem. I ran ipconfig and ensured the ipv4 address was the same address that pops up on the port checker tool website. It appears to be a public address starting with 72. I then ran the game, checked which port it was accessing and ran the port checker tool and still port blocked. I made a rule on windows firewall to allow all those ports both inbound and outbound. I even disabled this firewall completely and still port blocked. I called Netgear they said cm1200 just a modem and does not block ports. I called cox spoke to three different not so knowledgeable people that swore these ports were not blocked. I don’t know what else to do. Any ideas?
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ports appear blocked

Yes, the CM1200 is only a modem and just works to pass thru internet traffic from the ISP services to the connected router thats connected behind the CM1200 modem. THere is no built in router on the CM1200. So you'll need to look at your main host routers support site for help and information regarding that router. 

Ensure your router is connected to LAN port#1 of the CM1200 only. Port #2 is for Link Aggregation and Ports 3 and 4 are assigned IP addresses from the ISP for those kinds of configurations. 

Good Luck. 

@Pookadeli wrote:
I am trying to run a game. The game ran great when I was with AT&T and I put the router/modem combo into pass through mode. I now have since moved and can only get Cox Communications. The game does not seem to work as well, I am having latency issues. I tried to forward the ports recommended by port forwarding.com. But when I ran the application, checked the port number through cmd netstat and then typed that number into a bunch of port checker tools along with the IP address from my router it always said port blocked.

I then suspected router was not forwarding properly so I removed the router from equation and connected directly to modem. I ran ipconfig and ensured the ipv4 address was the same address that pops up on the port checker tool website. It appears to be a public address starting with 72. I then ran the game, checked which port it was accessing and ran the port checker tool and still port blocked. I made a rule on windows firewall to allow all those ports both inbound and outbound. I even disabled this firewall completely and still port blocked. I called Netgear they said cm1200 just a modem and does not block ports. I called cox spoke to three different not so knowledgeable people that swore these ports were not blocked. I don’t know what else to do. Any ideas?

Message 2 of 4
Pookadeli
Aspirant

Thanks. Yes port 1 is in use. I never removed the caps on the other ports that came with the router.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements