Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cm1000 or cm1000v2 verification before buying

jeffbaygents
Aspirant

cm1000 or cm1000v2 verification before buying

My ISP has a full certification of approval for the cm1000v2.  It permits the cm1000; however, it's considered "allowed" and not certified.  After a bunch of reading, I've learned that there is a slight hardware change to make it a "v2", involving the chipset which basically has some of the legacy items that are "no longer used" to be not available in "v2" version.  So, that makes sense if the older legacy items being disabled on the "v2" version to then become certifiable by an ISP.  Moving forward, is there a way to know if I'm buying a "cm1000v2" or a "cm1000" device?  I'm sure I can discover it after receiving it and cking it's hdwe version but, as I'm looking online or in a store, the device isn't accessible so, does anyone have any ideas on this?  It seems like I might have to just order it and verify it, being ready to return it.  I don't see anyone advertising it as a cm1000v2, as they're all basically tied to cm1000 only.  Any advice or suggestions on this?  Thanks.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Alonewolf85
Initiate

Re: cm1000 or cm1000v2 verification before buying

I understand either will work...but spectrum seems to like to blame all the internet problems on the equipment..so If you buy the one that is fully ok on their list they cannot use that for an excuse. Netgear should exercise a little common sense and label the sticker what version it is instead of a lottery

View solution in original post

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 9 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I'd buy from a store that shows compatibility with your ISP. If you look on amazon, they list which ISP's it works with. If they're listing it as certified to work with, it should be V2. 

Message 2 of 10
jeffbaygents
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the CM1000 is shown as "allowed" and CM100v2 is shown as "certified".  So, since either version would "work", all sellers get to show it as acceptable with my ISP.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Then if they both work, you should be fine. The cm1000v2 is basically the same processor minus some features. 

Message 4 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] is there a way to know if I'm buying a "cm1000v2" or a "cm1000"
> device? [...]

If you can see (or otherwise get the info from) the detailed label on
the box, where there would be a number like, say, "CM1000-100NAS" or
"CM1000-2AZNAS", or some such extended model number, then the "-1" or
"-2" part would identify a "v1" or "v2", respectively.

For example, on the Best Buy site, I found a "Model: CM1000-100NAS
SKU: 5712202".  (Whether that agrees with what they actually sell is
another question, of course.)

Message 5 of 10
Alonewolf85
Initiate

Net Gear has the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life.. cm1000 vs cm1000v2...they say ask the store and they will tell you..I explained best buy couldn't that there is no marking on the package...Netgears response is go to Walmart and ask them! I asked what is the difference between the 2 her reply is its upgraded! Uhgggg last netgear product I purchase from here on out!
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably nothing you'll never notice or deal with. Best recommendation is to look at your ISPs supported modem list. Get either one from a store with a good return policy. Contact the ISP and have them assoicated with there service. If it doesn't work, then you can return the modem. 

@Alonewolf85 wrote:
Net Gear has the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life.. cm1000 vs cm1000v2...they say ask the store and they will tell you..I explained best buy couldn't that there is no marking on the package...Netgears response is go to Walmart and ask them! I asked what is the difference between the 2 her reply is its upgraded! Uhgggg last netgear product I purchase from here on out!

Message 7 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Alonewolf

The two modems will perform almost the same there are just some minor hardware changes in the units.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 10
Alonewolf85
Initiate

I understand either will work...but spectrum seems to like to blame all the internet problems on the equipment..so If you buy the one that is fully ok on their list they cannot use that for an excuse. Netgear should exercise a little common sense and label the sticker what version it is instead of a lottery
Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 9 of 10
jeffbaygents
Aspirant

Thanks for your comments.  I haven't had issues with Netgear Support over the years but what you say about being precise in getting a compatible modem from the ISP's list is correct.  I've learned over the years, if I maintain compatibility, it ends discussions on hardware and the ISP immediately tends to resolve any issues rapidly.  When I rcvd the Netgear modem eventually, it was then verified as being version 1, which means it had the earlier chipset that doesn't work as well.  It was conveyed that there were some issues they couldn't resolve fully on v1 but they can get it all to work w/v2.  So, I returned the modem and never could find a confirmed seller of v2.  I immediately paid a little more and rcvd the Motorola MB8600, which was on the Spectrum's fully compatible listing.  It has been great with full speeds up and down with no issues for 2 months now.  Thanks to everyone for their responses and comments.  Yours was the truest reply in that it does remain important (for less issues) to stay with compatible hardware when it's clearly stated for a service.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7