Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk c7800 xfinity gigabit plan only 200mbps

Jetfixer757
Aspirant

nighthawk c7800 xfinity gigabit plan only 200mbps

I just moved into this house and have the xfinity gigabit plan with the netgear C7800.  I can't get above 200mbps wireless 5G and only about 100 mbps wired.  Xfinity tech came out and checked the signal at the modem router connection and said signal was great.  Netgear sent me a brand new C7800 as Xfinity told me my device was bad.  New one is doing the same thing.  Any Ideas?

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

Re: nighthawk c7800 xfinity gigabit plan only 200mbps

> [...] I can't get above 200mbps wireless 5G [...]

"can't get" when you do what, with what?  Why blame the modem+router?
Does that (unspecified) wireless device do any better with any other
router?

> [...] and only about 100 mbps wired. [...]

Again, "wired" to what?  What do the LED indicators indicate about
that wired connection?  For 1000Mb/s, a cable needs all eight
conductors; a defective cable can still provide a 100Mb/s link.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for the
LED descriptions and "Troubleshoot".

(Note: "m" = "milli" = 1/1000. "M" = "mega" = 1000000.)

> [...] c7800 xfinity gigabit plan [...]

Does Comcast/Xfinity support the C7800 for that service?

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

Be sure to speed test with a wired PC connected to the modem. Don't wireless speed test. 

@Jetfixer757 wrote:

I just moved into this house and have the xfinity gigabit plan with the netgear C7800.  I can't get above 200mbps wireless 5G and only about 100 mbps wired.  Xfinity tech came out and checked the signal at the modem router connection and said signal was great.  Netgear sent me a brand new C7800 as Xfinity told me my device was bad.  New one is doing the same thing.  Any Ideas?

Message 3 of 5
Jetfixer757
Aspirant

Can't get above 200 mbps with 5g on every speed test. Xfinity, fast .com. etc. I watched the xfinity tech put his tester on the cable connector that goes into the modem/router and signal was good.
Wired signal with gigabit port to my laptop was between 98 and 100 mbps.
I am well aware of what the abbreviations are. I have troubleshoot this issue and that is why I am asking for help here.
This model is what xfinity recommends for the gigabit service genius.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You not see anything near 900mpbs on wifi. Depending upon your wireless devices being used, most will max out at around 400-500Mpbs on 5Ghz AC. You maybe seeing average speeds on 5Ghz, 

Your wired speed, if you have a good PC with a good wired adatper and CPU speeds are good, you should see near or over 900Mpbs on a 1000Mpbs ethernet connection. Try a different PC or laptop to compare speeds tests. I prefer using ooklas installable speed test app. 

@Jetfixer757 wrote:
Can't get above 200 mbps with 5g on every speed test. Xfinity, fast .com. etc. I watched the xfinity tech put his tester on the cable connector that goes into the modem/router and signal was good.
Wired signal with gigabit port to my laptop was between 98 and 100 mbps.
I am well aware of what the abbreviations are. I have troubleshoot this issue and that is why I am asking for help here.
This model is what xfinity recommends for the gigabit service genius.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7