× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AC810 - Hungry on internet

JeanetteSeymour
Aspirant

AC810 - Hungry on internet

I have recently bought the AC810 after having endless problems with the AC785. I was told it was a bit slow and to upgrade to the AC810.

Anyhow, whilst it may be a bit faster (not impressively fast) it chews through my credit super fast. I have complained to the internet providers who have supplied me with my usage account which only shows Netgear on the record rather than the sites I have visited so I have no argument with them!

When I put the SIM directly in to my iPad I donot have the same problem. My usage is way down. 

For instance: On the Netgear I was using my 3Gb allocation in one day which normally lasts me up to a month in my iPad .... so you can see my concern!!

Has anyone experienced this issue? Is there a setting that perhaps would influence this?

The Netgear does "go to sleep" after a set time (can't remember the setting) so it has to be "woken up" some times.

I look forward to any comments you have.

Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: AC810 - Hungry on internet

Hello JeanetteSeymour

When using the aircard are you using other devices on wifi and not the Ipad or are you just using the Ipad when you use the aircard?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
JeanetteSeymour
Aspirant

Hi. DarrenM,

I am using iPad and 11" Macbook. Thanks, Jeanette

Message 3 of 6
Tellurium
Apprentice

Well, it's easy to explain. When connected over wifi your iPad & MacBook don't know that they are actually connected to the internet over a LTE connection. The result is that both devices do a bunch of maintenance stuff in the background, like checking for updates, download updates, sending telemetry data,... all sort of tasks that are normally disabled when connected to internet over a mobile connection, to avoid traffic.
Message 4 of 6
JeanetteSeymour
Aspirant

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I have both iPad and Macbook set so that updates are not automatic for that very reason. I am not sure what other tasks they can do without my input ... would it really be using up so much of my internet time just checking for updates? We have been previously connected via the old AC785 without these issues! It seems a little extraordinary and now I have two AC's which I am not prepared to use!

Message 5 of 6
JeanetteSeymour
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion that someone of an unknown person could be accessing my data plan. Other than my husband who used the Mac via the AC810 and my ipad, can't see how anyone else could access it unless they had the password. 

Is there a way anyone can bypass the password?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7