× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AT&T Nighthawk M1 Issues - Using as Modem with Google OnHub Router connected to Ethernet

Digdugg88
Aspirant

AT&T Nighthawk M1 Issues - Using as Modem with Google OnHub Router connected to Ethernet

Hello All,

I recently purchased the newly released Nighthawk M1 from AT&T (https://www.att.com/devices/netgear/nighthawk-lte-mobile-hotspot-router.html#sku=sku8550255).

I am having some odd issues, however. Right now, I have the unit configured in IP Passthrough Mode (with WiFi disabled). I also have all of the DHCP and routing functions off - as I have the unit connected to a Google OnHub AP - and simply want the Nighthawk to act as a modem.

For some reason, the ethernet on the Nighthawk seems to quit working every night, though - and I either have to unpug the unit and reboot or perform a factory reset. During the day, though, everything seems to work fine. 

The status light also blinks amber constantly. I have also removed the battery and use the wall charging unit only.

Can the unit be used as I describe - as a modem with a router connected to it? Do I need to reconfigure something? 

Prior to purchasing the Nighthawk, I had the same setup connected to a ZTE2700A (AKA AT&T WHPI) and I never had these sorts of issues.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Digdugg88
Aspirant

Re: AT&T Nighthawk M1 Issues - Using as Modem with Google OnHub Router connected to Ethernet

What I ultimantly ended up finding is that - in my case - I have to leave the IP Passthrough off and the DCHP enabled on both the OnHub and the Nighthawk. In this config, everyhting seems to be working fine.

Odd - but it works 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
argondick
Tutor

Re: AT&T Nighthawk M1 Issues - Using as Modem with Google OnHub Router connected to Ethernet

I have the same question about connecting it to an. Apple Airport Extreme.  I too am also seeing similar issues.

I did some research on the internet and discovered that this device will occassionally put the ethernet jack to sleep and conserve power.  It was a known issue and supposedly fixed with a past firmware update, but maybe not?

The issues I'm currently seeing is constant power-cycling while the battery is out (but plugged into the included power adapter) and connected via the ethernet jack.  On a Win7 PC it happens maybe 1-2 every 8 hours.  On a Mac running High Sierra, it occurs almost every 2 minutes.  Very frustrating!

I would love to know if anyone has used this as a modem only and the steps involved in making that happen.  I've turned off DHCP and enabled IP Passthrough, connected it to the Airport Extreme via ethernet and have had it plugged into the power adapter without the battery.  With the power cycling, its incredibly difficult to troubleshoot.

Message 2 of 4
MicW
Luminary

It should work in the configuration you described. The latest firmware ( NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04) is supposed to fix the ethernet going to sleep. I run mine for 16 hours a day with no issue via the ethernet port. One thing though, is the included power adaptor is not really fit for purpose . The manual actually recommends buying another adaptor with "Quick Charge 2.0 technology" (at least 1.5 amps) to run it from.

Message 3 of 4
Digdugg88
Aspirant

What I ultimantly ended up finding is that - in my case - I have to leave the IP Passthrough off and the DCHP enabled on both the OnHub and the Nighthawk. In this config, everyhting seems to be working fine.

Odd - but it works 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7