× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AirCard 770s no battery error

Llamar
Aspirant

Re: AirCard 770s no battery error

Just want to add another voice that I have the same problem.

I had one of these and it started acting up, eventually getting useless.  Like everyone else, the problem seems to get worse with time.  I bought a replacement unit on ebay ($10 without battery or cables).  Exported the configuration info from the old unit and uploaded it to the new unit.  It worked flawlessly for a couple of months but is now starting to do the same stuff.

I wish I had checked the firmware when I first received it.  I don't know if it updated, but it is now running:

Firmware Version NTG9X15C_01.18.02.00

Firmware Build Date 09/30/14

Web App Version ATT_03.02.57.21

Bootloader Version NTG9X15C_01.18.02.00

With my first unit, I had some luck for a while by putting the charger on a timer, so it would charge for a couple of hours twice a day and run off the battery ther rest of the time.  I may try this again for a while but expect that eventually it will deteriorate as much as the first one.  My guess is that there is some temperature sensitive component inside that breaks down over time.

If anyone from Netgear is listening, I congratulate you on your planned obsolescence - it seems to be working flawlessly.  However, in order to profit off of this you need to follow through by offering a new improved replacement product.  Is this process hung up with the lawyers, trying to figure out how to say you fixed a problem without admitting that you have a problem?

Model: AirCard 770S|AirCard 770S (AT&T Unite) Mobile Hotspot
Message 51 of 62
Llamar
Aspirant

I ended up replacing this with a Netgear Unite Pro 781s and it's been working great for several months.  I had to trim down the SIM to get it to fit (plenty of instructions online).  

Message 52 of 62
DrMatt
Aspirant

Thank you! This will hopefully work. I am theorizing that it will even though I’m in the five-minute of the 10 minute period of your suggestion because I had an AT&T hotspot and a boost mobile hotspot that were the exact same model and are doing the exact same thing and both of them have been powered off for about a year hoping this helps, and thank you for all of your feedback I don’t know if anyone even checked this for him anymore but wanted to add the fact that similar or exact model two different carriers, same problem 🙂 it was a planned self-destruct for obsolescence LOL
Message 53 of 62
DrMatt
Aspirant

THANK YOU GlenRoberts
Message 54 of 62
stinger9898
Aspirant

I really can't believe all of you can't solve such an easy issue

The way to fix the device is to reinstall the lastest firmware upgrade but if you can find it roll back your firmware to the oldest verson possible so you can get as many of the upgrades as possible because what has happen is data corroption due to fragmention every device has that issue no matter what they tell you I know I have been a computer tech for the past 20 years some systems are better at fixing the issue as it happens but all systems have that issue

Message 55 of 62
texaskay
Aspirant

I have read all the posts and, in short, there seems to be no lasting fix for the "no battery" error. I'm "up there" in age so I know all of you have a lot more experience with the technical side of this issue. I called into AT&T and couldn't even get past the rep who couldn't find my phone number in the system although I was calling on an AT&T phone number. So . . . I happened on this forum. Thank you all for saving me a lot of time and money trying to fix the battery.  My plan now is to take a copy of all these complaints to the nearest AT&T store and try to negotiate a replacement. I understand that equipment has failures but I also understand that companies have a responsibility to fix issues that originate in design or the manufacturing thereof. Wish me luck! 

Message 56 of 62
Duckdad62
Aspirant

This works but drops alot.
Remove battery run aircard plugged in to power. NO BATTERY.
IT DROPS OUT but works.
NOT PORTABLE.
JL
Message 57 of 62
fall
Initiate

Re: AirCard 770s no battery error - charging cord length?

I just bought an at&t unite 770s on ebay (new - other) and didn't know about the battery problem people have been having until after I saw all of the complaints and suggested solutions about it on this site going back years... I wanted to prevent it from happening to mine so I left it plugged in to the 10 ft charging cable I had hooked up to it and took the battery out. Hotspot kept trying to boot, shutting off, trying to boot, shutting off, etc. and just kept doing that. I had almost given up when I decided to try a shorter cable. I plugged a 3 ft cable into it and then took the battery out while it was still on (I don't know if you're supposed to take the battery out while it's on but I did) and it stayed on, did say "no battery" in top right-hand corner but hotspot signal is staying on and has been working like that for hours.  I have backlight set to turn off after 30 seconds to try to keep it from sucking too much juice at once. The longer cable DOES work and it charges everything I plug it into. I used the same adapter plug on both to plug into the wall. Does the cord being shorter make a difference? Should the people who are having trouble getting theirs to turn on or stay on with no battery try a shorter cord? It seems to be working for me but a lot of the suggestions people have on here work for them but not for everyone. I have no idea if this will work on a long-term basis or extend the life of my hotspot in any way and also not exactly sure why shorter cord seems to work and it continuously tries to reboot when plugged into longer cord unless electrical current is somehow stronger in a shorter cord. Anyone know why shorter cord would work so much better other than "there might be something wrong with the longer one?"

Message 58 of 62
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi fall,

To my knowledge, the output would be stronger because it has less distance to travel to power the unit. Like a Ethernet cable hooked up to a modem/router, the signal will be stronger if it was a shorter cable because the signal would lose signal strength as distance progress. 

- Jason N

Message 59 of 62
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi fall,

I just wanted to check in on your and see what I said has helped you. Also is your device's firmware up-to-date- with the most current version?

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 60 of 62
fall
Initiate

Hi Jason. Yes, thank you for answering my question. I don't think my firmware would even update when I first turned on the hotspot. I think it said no updates were available. so I'm not sure if it's up to date, but it still seems to be working fine. Keeping the battery out but charged in case of an emergency.

Message 61 of 62
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi fall,

Thank you for your response.

I'm glad that you have found a work around. 

Pease let me know if you have any other questions. :]

- Jason N

Message 62 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7