× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Best router to buy for aggressive network prioritization??

RaddedMC
Follower

Best router to buy for aggressive network prioritization??

Hi there. My name is James and I am a high school student who lives in the country with line-of-sight internet.

Our current internet plan has been unstable later at night and apparently the only fix is to get someone in our house to install new modems/antennas, etc. This is not an option for us right now, as my dad has health issues and we are still self-isolating due to the ongoing pandemic. Because of his aforementioned health issues, my parents watch a lot of Netflix/Amazon Prime late at night, and my computer is causing issues as it is taking down their streaming whenever I attempt to do something online. My computer is an older but still capable gaming PC, my parents' streaming laptop is a much lesser system from the same era. We are looking to purchase a new router with bandwidth prioritization technology that is very strict:

As an example let's say that our unstable late-night connection gives us 5 Mbps down and 0.4 up. If the laptop needs all of that bandwidth, we would like the router to give the prioritized laptop all of that bandwidth, leaving the other devices on the network with nothing. Does your Netgear sell a product equipped with the necessary hardware/software to do this? And if so, which product do you think would best suit our needs?

Thank you very much for your help, James.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7