× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Bigpond Wi-Fi 4G Advanced 11 stops charging @ 38° C

MTS04
Aspirant

Bigpond Wi-Fi 4G Advanced 11 stops charging @ 38° C

I have noticed that sometimes the hot spot will stop charging when temp is around 38° C. This doesn't always happen as I have seen it charge properly at 40° C When it does stop charging I have to put it on frozen peas pack to bring the temp down. Once the temp comes down to 35° C it starts charging. I leave it on ice till it comes down to 20° C or so and then remove the cold pack. I have searched this site for information on battery temperature and read that it is designed to cut out at 45° C. This is the built in safety measure, but it is cutting out before it gets to 45° C. Normal operating temp is anywhere from 35° C to 37° C. The Battery Status shows as normal even when it will not charge. It never shows as Hot. Is there anything else I can do to have it charge normally at 37° C. Thanks
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Bigpond Wi-Fi 4G Advanced 11 stops charging @ 38° C

Hello MTS04

Have you bulled the battery out and check to make sure its not going bad and warping? You also may want to contact your phone company or netgear phone support if its still under warranty this does not sound like normal behavior.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
MTS04
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your reply.

The battery is physically OK. As I said in my original post this does not happen all the time.

Sometimes it will stop charging around 38°C and other times it will reach 40°C and charge fine.

Mostly the operating temperature is around 36°C or 37°C max once it has been on for some hours.

Message 3 of 4
MTS04
Aspirant

Telstra replaced the modem under warranty and the replacement does the exact same thing. If I connect USB to charge it the charge is not started if temp is Over 37° C. The manual clearly states that charging will stop if temp is 45° C. I shouldn't have to put hotspot on a cold pack to get it to start charging. As soon as the temp drops below 37° C it starts to charge. Not a happy camper.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7