× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LB2120-Both-nics-on-the-same-network

shdwkeeper
Follower

LB2120-Both-nics-on-the-same-network

I'm revisiting this thread and am looking at Post #10.  How would you configure this to work correctly, with the LB2120 connected to a cable modem with a Nighthawk router behind the LB2120 in bridge mode. If my LB2120 has an ip address of 192.168.1.5 and the NIghthawk has an ip address of 192.168.1.1  There is no way to configure the LB2120 now because its sitting in front of the router.  Also if I only want 1 devices to failover to LTE not everything connected to the router, do I have to put this device on a seperate gateway which would be the IP address of the LB2120?

Thoughts?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/LB2120-Both-nics-on-the-same-network...

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: LB2120-Both-nics-on-the-same-network

In short: Both NIC on the same network is not intended, not part of the design, not supported.

In long:

@shdwkeeper wrote:

How would you configure this to work correctly, with the LB2120 connected to a cable modem with a Nighthawk router behind the LB2120 in bridge mode.

Is this cable modem working on a transparent TCP/IP channel, or does it require some encapsulation like PPPoE or PPTP?

@shdwkeeper wrote:

If my LB2120 has an ip address of 192.168.1.5 and the NIghthawk has an ip address of 192.168.1.1  There is no way to configure the LB2120 now because its sitting in front of the router.

Thats why the LB2120 default IP is on a diferent but the common 192.168.1.0/24 subnet - like 192.168.5.1/24. The assumption is that most routers are forwarding other subnet addresses (even private ones) to the default gateway, and so to the LN2120 will be reachable becuase the bridge-integrated in-band IP stack will become reachable.

@shdwkeeper wrote:

Also if I only want 1 devices to failover to LTE not everything connected to the router, do I have to put this device on a seperate gateway which would be the IP address of the LB2120?

The fail-over does happen on the WAN or Internet side, outside of your router (W)LAN. The LB2120 can't make a difference or limit the LTE access to just one device on your router (W)LAN interface - it simply can't decide what traffic does originate form a specific device on your internal network.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7