× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

M2 and RAX120 - can you set the RAX120 up to extend the M2?

DAQ1972
Aspirant

M2 and RAX120 - can you set the RAX120 up to extend the M2?

I have a RAX120 and an M2.  Was looking for a way to get the RAX120 to distribute the M2 when home internet is down. Can it be done - any suggestions?  If not, can the M2 signal be redistributed and what should I buy to do it with?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: M2 and RAX120 - can you set the RAX120 up to extend the M2?

Is it the MR2100?
If so, that has an ethernet port. you could connect that to the RAX's wan port and either run the rax in access point mode or the M2 in passthrough mode.
the RAX120 doesn't have a failover mode though
Message 2 of 4
DAQ1972
Aspirant

Thanks, obviously I’m not as experienced as many on this form but I like to think I understand the basics. I followed as you suggest and neither platform liked it.
The M2 kept dropping its APN and tried to link up with the 62 network the RAX was pushing out. Then the 62 refused to advertise to more than a couple of devices.
Thinking of replacing the RAX with something simple like the NG 7700 Wi-fi repeater.
Thoughts?
Message 3 of 4
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @DAQ1972 ,

If you are looking to do failover to M2 if RAX120 fixed connection goes down, then the only way to do this is to connect all your devices to the M2 via WLAN and use Ethernet Oflloading.  You can offload to RAX120 as primary connection and if M2 detects no internet it will failover to the mobile network.  You can also Offload to WiFi if Ethernet port is required.  The key thing here is that all connecting clients need to be connected to M2 for this setup to work.

Regards,

Arodi

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7