× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100 + 2 access points - DHCP address problems

UK-based
Luminary

MR1100 + 2 access points - DHCP address problems

My Nighthawk MR1100 (M1) is connected via Ethernet to an unmanaged switch, into which 2 access points are connected to distribute dual band WiFi around the house. Since the most recent firmware update (NTG9X50C_10.22.03.00 build date 22nd Nov 2017) the Ethernet port is staying awake but I'm having problems when I move a WiFi-connected device from one end of the house to the other: if the device is connected via one of the access points (rather than directly to the M1's WiFi) and I then attempt to connect via the other access point, it states (Obtaining IP address...) but never connects. One way I've found to solve this is to connect directly to the M1 WiFi first and then connect to the 2nd access point. It's like the M1's DHCP isn't issuing a new IP address to the device, or at least allowing the device to keep the same IP address but move to a new access point.

I've allocated the 2 access points IP addresses that are outside the DHCP range of the M1 (changed from the default range to 192.168.1.80 to 192.168.1.149) and they are not the same as the M1's address (left on the default). The DHCP service is disabled on both access points (they are actually modem/routers converted to access points).

Is this a fault with the M1's DHCP functionality or does this Ethernet switch + 2 access points configuration cause similar WiFi connectivity/IP address allocation problems with other routers?

Message 1 of 2
UK-based
Luminary

Re: MR1100 + 2 access points - DHCP address problems

Has anyone else got this problem with devices not being allocated IP addresses by the MR1100's DHCP when moving between 2 access points that are wired to it via an Ethernet switch? Is this a problem with the MR1100?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7