× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR5100 NO 5G After Firmware Update

steadilife
Tutor

MR5100 NO 5G After Firmware Update

On AT&T. Have 2 M5s and had 5G almost everywhere in my area. Received a firmware update last week on both and no longer have 5G, but rather 5ge.

Tried reboots, factory resets charging to full, speed tests. Only thing that has worked has changed cellular setting in the purple app from All to LTE + 5G and the reverse. 5G comes back for about 30 sec and then back to 5ge.

Thought it was a new power saving function and ran speed test after test to no change.

I have a iPhone 12 Pro on actual 5G NR 850mhz N5 (same as what the M5 used two weeks ago) and 5G works great. And yes, I know about the 5G power saving settings for the iPhone. I’ve configured 5G on full time for my iPhone and my upload speeds are literally double when it is active. 5G is in my area. Something is wrong with the most recent firmware from Netgear/AT&T.
Message 1 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: MR5100 NO 5G After Firmware Update

Hi @steadilife

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Let me check on this. May we please know the firmware version? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 7
steadilife
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply.

Both MR5100 (M5’s) auto updated to NTGX55_10.25.15.02.

Confirming again today that both at avoiding 5G over 5Ge at all costs.
Message 3 of 7
nazoren
Aspirant

Hello,

Is there any update on this?
Experiencing the exact same issue, after the new NTGX55_10.25.15.02 firmware not getting 5G signal or the speed.
Before all was perfect 90-95 Mbps speeds came down to 20-30 Mbps...
Is this a ATT throttling update ?

Message 4 of 7
steadilife
Tutor

I'm working with their support right now to figure out what is going on. So far their support in multiple conversations has been able to figure out that I've tried multiple sim cards and it still isn't connecting to 5G. So hopefully soon we can make it to tackling the actual cause. I'll post an update here as soon as I hear something back. 

Message 5 of 7
nazoren
Aspirant

Thanks @steadilife 

hopefully solution is on the way...Will be checking with ATT and Netgear for any solution as well.
To rollback to old working firmware looks like an easy fix but there is no way to install with the MR5100 interface

Message 6 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @steadilife

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7