× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR6450 with Orbi

SpaceCB
Tutor

MR6450 with Orbi

Hello Community.

My setup is the following:

Netgear MR6450 with 5G Lan connected to my Orbi RBR20 that is serving mesh to 2 satellite RBS20

I am experiencing 2 types of issues:

1. Intermittent intern access loss. during the day, several times, I am losing internet access for a few seconds to a minute. this happens about 5 to 12 times a day... not very cool while in a video conference call. I have no idea what could cause this.
  2. on my Orbi wifi, my cell phones (iPhones) are experiencing excruciatingly slow speed on wifi if they can connect at all. I disabled private address etc.. in their wifi setting and it's better, but they seem to struggle to access the internet.

I was hoping some of you may be able to shine some lights on this. it's really making it hard for us to work from home.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: MR6450 with Orbi

Do you have the MR6450 in passthrough mode or the orbi in access point mode? 

they're both routers and it causes a double nat if both routing functions are enalbed

Message 2 of 9
SpaceCB
Tutor

M6 is not in IP passthrough and DHCP is on. , Orbi is set up in AP mode.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

How many devices do you have setup? 
you might try putting the MR6450 in passthrough mode and the orbi in router mode. it might be to many devices causing issues with the MR managing them

Message 4 of 9
SpaceCB
Tutor

thanks will try that... I do have a large number of devices...

Message 5 of 9
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@SpaceCB wrote:

Hello Community.

My setup is the following:

Netgear MR6450 with 5G Lan connected to my Orbi RBR20 that is serving mesh to 2 satellite RBS20

I am experiencing 2 types of issues:

1. Intermittent intern access loss. during the day, several times, I am losing internet access for a few seconds to a minute. this happens about 5 to 12 times a day... not very cool while in a video conference call. I have no idea what could cause this.
  2. on my Orbi wifi, my cell phones (iPhones) are experiencing excruciatingly slow speed on wifi if they can connect at all. I disabled private address etc.. in their wifi setting and it's better, but they seem to struggle to access the internet.

I was hoping some of you may be able to shine some lights on this. it's really making it hard for us to work from home.

Thanks

Please try the following steps to help us find out what causes the data disconnection or stall.

1. Connect another WiFi device to MR6450 WiFi

2. When you experience data stall or disconnection, please check the other WiFi client whether it can connect to internet with decent speed. You can run speed testing with the client.

Please also capture a model.json file with the client connected to MR6450 and send PM to me for reveiw.

Then please try setting IPT via Ethernet by logging to WebUI. It will avoid the double netting issue when using the default setting as Router mode.

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
SpaceCB
Tutor

Thanks for the info. I am holding on to this, as it seems that moving the Orbi as a router and not AP has solved the problem. so trying this out for a week or two before trying to do more.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays solid. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked better as that was quite a few different devices for the MR6450 to be managing. The Orbi has a bit more capability being a non-mobile device. 

Message 8 of 9
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@SpaceCB wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am holding on to this, as it seems that moving the Orbi as a router and not AP has solved the problem. so trying this out for a week or two before trying to do more.

Thanks for the information that setting Orbi as router mode can help. Will check internally to see whether there is something we need to improve on M6.

Regards

John

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7