× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear WNDR3400v3 compatibility with Aircard 340U

JSchuette
Follower

Netgear WNDR3400v3 compatibility with Aircard 340U

Hello, I currently have a Netgear router model WNDR3400v3. I live in a rural setting and currently have satellite link internet and use the internet provider's modem. I am looking to switch providers, and our options out here are limited. I am looking at T-Mobile hotspot and then using a router to push the signal throughout the house. The salesperson said that to get good TMobile reception in my area, I would need their Netgear 340U modem/hotspot, but would need their router to push the signal through the house. I asked him why I can't use my current router and he said it had to be compatible with the Netgear 340U to work. I know nothing about how these things work, and it seems to me he is trying to nickel and dime me. Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

Model: AirCard 340U|AT&T Beam
Message 1 of 2
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Netgear WNDR3400v3 compatibility with Aircard 340U

Hi,

For the AC340U to work in a router, the router needs to be pre-configured with the correct AC340U USB drivers.

I don't believe the WNDR3400v3 has support for those drivers so the salesperson is probably correct in what he is telling you.

You have a few different options to solve this:

1> Use the AC340U and router recommended by salesperson

2> Load OpenWRT software on your WNDR3400v3 (https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3400) and use with AC340U.

Note that I would only recommend this if you are very technical and comfortable with using & installing linux drivers and setting up routers.

Putting OpenWRT on your router will also void your WNDR3400v3 warranty.

3> Use an LB1120 with your current WNDR3400v3 instead of the AC340U.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB1120.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organi...

The LB1120 has an ethernet interface instead of USB so will work with any router.

It will work with TMobile SIM (as well as ATT) and has same LTE capability as the AC340U.

It also has the advantage that you can position it in location with best LTE coverage in the house and then run ethernet cable to your router which can be positioned for best WiFi coverage in the house.

If you choose option #3, the LB1120 can be purchased at various online retailers.

Steve

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7