× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear nighthawk m1 mr1100 random rebooting

aawada
Aspirant

Netgear nighthawk m1 mr1100 random rebooting

Hello,

My nighthawk m1 router is randomly rebooting by itself, mainly when there is heavy usage. I tried to put the battery on with charging plug same issue remained. Reset the router and remove 5g band didn't work either. Changing the power socket and power adapter also failed. Latest version is installed

I have noticed there are many posts with similar issues. Did anyone solve this issue?

Thanks
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 2
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear nighthawk m1 mr1100 random rebooting

Hi aawada,

Welcome!  Yes, many of us have had this issue over the past 6 months.  In general, you can usually address this issue by doing the following:

1) throw out the included AC power adapter and replace it with a reputable QC2 or QC3 charger (Anker).  I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge-Charger-PowerPort-PowerIQ/dp/B01IUTIUEA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

2) Disable dual band Wifi.  Use only one band.  Preferrably 5.8Ghz assuming all of your devices support it.  Else 2.4 Ghz.  But keep in mind 2.4 GHz will severly limit your throughput (assuming your cellular connection is fast enough).  You'll also need to increase the range to "Long" as the Wifi range on the MR1100 is pretty weak (compared to my ZTE hotspots, for example).  Many of us have disabled the on hotospot wifi all together and connected a proper Wifi AP via Ethernet for fixed installs.  Something like this one works well:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-EAP225-V3-Wireless-Supports/dp/B0781YXFBT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530...

3) Be sure your MR1100 firmware is fully up to date, the original firmware from ~Feb 2018 was very bad.  The newer firmwares 12.0.6.x (forget exact number) have been better.  When mobile in the car, my device used to frequently panic when switching to/from certain specific cell towers.  Not sure why.  This seems better now.

4) Keep the device cool.  It's sensitive to warm weather, especially with regard to battery charging.

Given a strong cell tower with fiber back haul, I've seen up to ~120Mbit on AT&T.  Usually though its only ~15 to 60 Mbit in the areas I frequent (PA/NJ). 

Good luck,

Jonathan 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7