× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 Optus speed slow

carleast01
Tutor

Nighthawk M1 Optus speed slow

I purchased the Nighthawk M1 outright to use with an Optus sim rather than Telstra which is who it's sold by.  However, I'm unable to get the speeds that I'm seeing with the same sim via my Samsung S9+.  It's typically 2-4 times faster than the M1.  The M1 is at it's slowest when it's not on B28 and is on B3 but even when it's on B28 it's still half the speed of my S9+.

I'm testing with the devices in exactly the same location.

Any ideas of settings?  I've changed the APN to yesinternet.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Gary_Y
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk M1 Optus speed slow

@carleast01 if you bought the Telstra Nighthawk M1 (MR1100-1TLAUS) then it does not support all the Optus radio bands.  Specifically it does not support TDD B40 which Optus use for the Carrier Aggregation.  If you really wanted to use an Optus SIM - then my suggestions would be to buy the Optus AirCard 800S which is a CAT11 device (CAT9 out of the box but with a firmware upgrade it is CAT11) and that does Carrier Aggregation with B40, B28, B3 and B7 - all the bands used by Optus LTE 4G currently.

Thanks.

Gary

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Here in the USA, at least, nothing holds a candle to the S9.  With LAA on AT&T it approaches 500-600Mbit.  My nighthawk on AT&T has been largely underwhelming maxing out so far at 110-120 Mbit.  My iPhone 6s routinely beats it -- ~140-150Mbit in the same location.  No LAA on the Nighthawk in the US at least.  I've not seen anyone post speeds faster than ~100-110 Mbit (in the US).  Some Telstra videos I saw on Youtube show ~250-263Mbit via Ethernet connection to the M1.  Unfortunately the firmware doesn't seem to indicate which bands are using CA.  From the speeds, I doub't I've seen more than 2xCA here on AT&T.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 2 of 7
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Here in the USA, at least, nothing holds a candle to the S9.  With LAA on AT&T it approaches 500-600Mbit.  My nighthawk on AT&T has been largely underwhelming maxing out so far at 110-120 Mbit.  My iPhone 6s routinely beats it -- ~140-150Mbit in the same location.  No LAA on the Nighthawk in the US at least.  I've not seen anyone post speeds faster than ~100-110 Mbit (in the US).  Some Telstra videos I saw on Youtube show ~250-263Mbit via Ethernet connection to the M1.  Unfortunately the firmware doesn't seem to indicate which bands are using CA.  From the speeds, I doub't I've seen more than 2xCA here on AT&T.

Message 3 of 7
carleast01
Tutor

I'd be ecstatic if I got 110 mbit.  I'm sitting here right now and my TV is getting 1 to 2.24 mbit and that is via ethernet from the Nighthawk using the Optus sim in it.  I've got a second Optus sim in my S9+ right now and it's getting 30 mbit.  Something is surely wrong here?

Message 4 of 7
Gary_Y
NETGEAR Expert

@carleast01 if you bought the Telstra Nighthawk M1 (MR1100-1TLAUS) then it does not support all the Optus radio bands.  Specifically it does not support TDD B40 which Optus use for the Carrier Aggregation.  If you really wanted to use an Optus SIM - then my suggestions would be to buy the Optus AirCard 800S which is a CAT11 device (CAT9 out of the box but with a firmware upgrade it is CAT11) and that does Carrier Aggregation with B40, B28, B3 and B7 - all the bands used by Optus LTE 4G currently.

Thanks.

Gary

Message 5 of 7
darkarbiter
Tutor

after update the firmware

i have the same problem

the LTE band always lock to B3

even i changed 3 different ISP sim card

any one can help?

need to unlock???

thank u

Message 6 of 7
darkarbiter
Tutor

after testing for several times

it's due to the wifi problem....

my net speed got the same fast as before

after i reset machine and got the lastest fireware and set my wifi to 5ghz, long, 40mhz, channel 161, turn 2.4ghz wifi off

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/WiFi-slow-on-MR1100/m-p/1602609

JSchnee21

Luminary

Re: WiFi slow on MR1100

Hi emtr3,

Congrats on getting 200Mbit on AT&T when clients are connected over Ethernet!  I've yet to see more than ~120 Mbit from mine -- though, that was over Wifi.

In order to get fast Wifi speeds, make sure your Wifi settings are set corrects:

0) be sure you have the latest firmware 12.06.02.01 (or 12.02.06.01 -- I forget)

1) turn off 2.4Ghz (preferred for stability).  Or set it to a different SSID

2) Ensure 5.8 Ghz range is set to Long, AC, 40 Mhz.

3) Use a tool like inssider or other to see what channel wifi channels are only lightly used in your location

4) Set the MR1100 to use that 5.8Ghz channel -- though Auto seems to work fairly well, too.

5) Associate your Wireless client to the 5.8GHz SSID

6) Be sure your client is 2x2 (any modern iPhone, iPad, Samsung S7/8/9, etc.) should do

7) use fast.com for benchmarking.

We're at an inflection point where only the newest Wifi technology is fast enough for the higher LTE speeds.  2.4 Ghz won't cut it any more.  And band steering, if the MR1100 supports (not sure) is often a crap shoot.

5.8Ghz AC, 40Mhz, with 2x2.  This has a maximal air link rate of 866Mhz.  Of which, best case, it can suppor ~350-400Mbit for a single 2x2 client with no RF interference at close range -- same room.  As you move further away from the AP, or have more than 2 or 3 clients all chatting away, this will deterioate to ~100-200Mbit.

I wish we could set the 5.8Ghz radio to 20Mhz for better range, but alas this is not an available option.  My Velocity 2 lets you pick from 20, 40, 80, or auto and has much better range in general.  But the MR1100 is a bit faster over LTE.

I would not recommend using 80Mhz unless your 5.8Ghz RF spectrum is very clear.  Generally there is too much noise and too limited range for 80Mhz.  Often 40 performs better.  But feel free to experiment.

No mattery what, Ethernet will be better.  I just bought a proper AP (TP-Link EAP225v3) to connect to my MR1100 over Ethernet.  This will give me the best 2.4 and 5.8Ghz range and speed possible without worrying about the limited power and thermal envelope of the MR1100.

-Jonathan

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 2 of 11
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series