× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M5 - 5G Router - Antenna recomendations for wifi & LTE

NGP
Follower
Follower

Nighthawk M5 - 5G Router - Antenna recomendations for wifi & LTE

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for some advice & a product recommendation too if possible.

Please ignore the Router model in the "Model" tab - my question is relating to the M5 - MR5200 Nighthawk Mobile Router.

So I have a Netgear Nighthawk M5 -MR5200 - 5G mobile wifi router that I use for work, I provide tech support on photographic shoots and am often out on location, where screen sharing to clients over wifi and other countries is becoming the norm.

I’m looking for a something that can help with the strength of the 5g data signal I receive and with the strength of the produced wifi network my router can provide.

is there an antenna that can do both?  Does the router allow for the wifi range to be boosted?

The Router has 2 x TS9 connectors built into it for external connectivity & I can adapt this to SMA or alternatives.

So far I have this as my best option, what are your thoughts

Regards,

Nick
Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk M5 - 5G Router - Antenna recomendations for wifi & LTE

cellular antennas and wifi antennas broadcast different. So there isn't a single product you could get that'd work for both. (sadly)

You can try using the antenna you linked to to see if it'd help with reception. I've had luck with using lte antennas on other hotspots. helped quite a bit with improving speeds.  

In terms of boosting wifi performance, a bit more details are needed. The MR5200 has a pretty solid wifi setup on it with AX1800 speeds and pretty good broadcast coverage for a hotspot.

What speed/coverage are you expecting out of it? 

What speeds/coverage are you getting? 

I ask because if the bottleneck is the LTE connection, boosting the wifi isn't going to help any. 

so its determining where the bottleneck is to see what'll help the most. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7