× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Upgrade orbi ac6000 need help with layout plan

quten
Aspirant

Upgrade orbi ac6000 need help with layout plan

I need some help with a setup, a friend currently has the Orbi Pro AC3000 router with a satellite. They want to get a good WiFi signal in the garage about 150ft away. Has a 1gig fiber connection, the garage signal currently gets a weak 6mbs.

The router is set in the center of the house, then there is a wall closest to the building about 35ft from the router.

From there about 50ft is another building with power and then the final building about 50ft away.

I see now this router is old tech and no longer available so which system should they switch to so they can daisy chain satellites to the goal building?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Upgrade orbi ac6000 need help with layout plan

The problem isn't the age of the system. Its the distance and the exterior walls. Exterior walls tend to have more materials that block wifi signals and degrade the signal. 

options? 

1. Try and hardwire in the garage. An underground rated ethernet cable is pretty cheap and can be buried pretty easily. I've done it with putting a blade on an edge (and throwing the blade away afterwards). It doesn't get it very deep but some areas that might be fine in. 

2. potentially a powerline adapter if its on the same circuit. 

3. moca adapter if there's coax cable ran to the garage

4. a point to point system. They can be picked up pretty cheap. Netgear used to sell a version but its been out of stock for quite a while. 

Any of these would get a connection to the garage so you could just add in a satellite in the garage. That'd be the best option. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7