× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Yet another MR1100 antenna configuration question

bkenobi
Aspirant

Yet another MR1100 antenna configuration question

I've have an MR1100 connected to AT&T for a little over 1 month. I am replacing a rediculously slow DSL setup (1/0.3mbps d/u) for my home internet with this and during testing find that I can get up to 50/10 mbps d/u if I put the device on my second floor by a window exposed to the cell towers. Even in that location, I only have 1-3 bars of signal because the towers are a ways off (~1.5 miles with dense trees and some hills to 3 different towers, further for a few others). But, I want to install this in my basement (below grade) to be next to the structured media cabinet and router. When I move it to that location, I get ~1.5/0.5 mbps d/u speeds or less. Obviously, that won't work for anything (even though it's still faster than my DSL was).

I purchased a pair of Wilson yagi antennas that I am planning on installing in the attic with a RG-6 runs of ~50' and a F-connector to TS-9 adapters. With this setup moved to the second floor for testing (hand held), I'm seeing the following:

config RSRP DL UL
A10e phone N/A 41.5 3.71
M1 int antenna -113 40.3 0.95
M1 1 vert ant -101 37.6 5.84
M1 2 vert ant -115 ~2 0.01

When I tried to mount the antenna to a PVC pipe, I'm having trouble pointing at the tower apparently because I get no improvement in RSRP as reported by the M1 over internal antenna. I have tried many configurations to figure out what the best config is but so far I'm not seeing any benefit from the antennas when hard mounted.

* 1 antenna vertical
* 2 antenna vertical pointing in same direction
* 2 antenna vertcial pointing at 2 towers
* 2 antenna +/- 45 degree pointing in same direction

I thought it could be an issue with the power, so I pulled the battery and the modem reboots pretty often. I replaced the USB cube with a 2.4A unit but no change so battery back in. Still not seeing benefit from antennas.

I called Netgear support but they basically told me that antennas are not supported, good luck, and hung up. I really need to get something working so that I can move on to other projects. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 5
LTEGuy
Star

Re: Yet another MR1100 antenna configuration question

Hi, a couple of suggestions to your problem:

I think RG6 is 75 ohm cable and M1 system is 50 ohm. Try using a 50 ohm coaxial cable, RG58 is a good choice.  If you prefer the Wilson brand, Wilson 400 is a good cable as well.  Also, keep the cable as short as possible.

hope this helps.

Message 2 of 5
bkenobi
Aspirant

I didn't realize that the M1 was 50ohm.  I specifically bought the 75ohm version of the Wilson antenna because I thought RG6 would be a good quality cable without all that much loss.  Although LM400 would be a great option for signal, I have a constraint that it must fit through a conduit to the attic that already has a lot of other runs.  I know I can fit 2 and hopefully 2 RG6 easily, but even 1 LM400 cable would be a very difficult task.

I spoke to Wilson Electronics today and they recommended looking into RG11 cable.  In looking at it online, it appears to be a pretty big jump in size (not like 400 of course).  RG58 appears smaller than RG6 and is 50 ohm.  I can go that route if it will work with the Yagi's I have, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying a different antenna in 50 ohm if I go with 50 ohm cable.

Message 3 of 5
bkenobi
Aspirant

Out of desperation as a last ditch effort before packing everything up for return, I tried buying new F to TS9 adapters. One of the original ones fell apart at one point so I figured maybe they are both junk.

After testing many configurations last night, I have found 0, 1, or 2 antennas with 5', 50', and 75' of RG6 all work equally well to provide 20Mbps+ download rates to my laptop. With my phone, I can get up to 45+ which is what I achieve with my phone to tower directly, so the laptop (2012 model) is holding speeds back and not the hot spot.

Any recommendation on keeping the TS9 plugged in without damaging anything? The connector seems REALLY fragile. In fact, I bought 4 and the first one snapped a corner of the male plug on the adapter. Seems like a bad design.
Message 4 of 5
Joyce955
Aspirant

@KFC Survey wrote:
Out of desperation as a last ditch effort before packing everything up for return, I tried buying new F to TS9 adapters. One of the original ones fell apart at one point so I figured maybe they are both junk.

After testing many configurations last night, I have found 0, 1, or 2 antennas with 5', 50', and 75' of RG6 all work equally well to provide 20Mbps+ download rates to my laptop. With my phone, I can get up to 45+ which is what I achieve with my phone to tower directly, so the laptop (2012 model) is holding speeds back and not the hot spot.

Any recommendation on keeping the TS9 plugged in without damaging anything? The connector seems REALLY fragile. In fact, I bought 4 and the first one snapped a corner of the male plug on the adapter. Seems like a bad design.

I specifically bought the 75ohm version of the Wilson antenna because I thought RG6 would be a good quality cable without all that much loss.  Although LM400 would be a great option for signal, I have a constraint that it must fit through a conduit to the attic that already has a lot of other runs.  I know I can fit 2 and hopefully 2 RG6 easily, but even 1 LM400 cable would be a very difficult task.

I spoke to Wilson Electronics today and they recommended looking into RG11 cable.  In looking at it online, it appears to be a pretty big jump in size (not like 400 of course).  RG58 appears smaller than RG6 and is 50 ohm.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7