Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Circle 1st gen App no longer implements internet limits

FrustratedParen
Follower

Circle 1st gen App no longer implements internet limits

In the last several days to week all limits that can be set on the app no longer function. For example if a profile is only limited to two hours of Internet use a day - the app usage for that profile clearly shows more than 2 hours. If a user is supposed to shut off access at 9 PM, the history shows that user is accessing the internet after that time - say 10pm. For one user I removed all the devices so it indicates there are no devices under that profile however it is clear that that profile is accruing Internet time (as shown in hostory and usage) - it is just impossible to block or limit. Also - when a new device joins the network there is no longer a notification and it does not appear on the app.

Until a week or so ago - all of these worked - any suggestions or is this their way of saying time to upgrade?
Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 23
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Circle 1st gen App no longer implements internet limits

Hi, we'd like to know the following.

What is the model number and firmware version of your NETGEAR device?

Is the router time zone setup correctly?

Have you tried resetting and setting everything back up again?

Dexter

NETGEAR Team

Message 2 of 23
Jamie12345
Tutor

Mine did that too starting around March 8th the only thing that worked was worked was resetting the app which of course deletes everything and then resetting the modem.
Message 3 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Progress on this? 

@FrustratedParen wrote:

In the last several days to week all limits that can be set on the app no longer function. For example if a profile is only limited to two hours of Internet use a day - the app usage for that profile clearly shows more than 2 hours. If a user is supposed to shut off access at 9 PM, the history shows that user is accessing the internet after that time - say 10pm. For one user I removed all the devices so it indicates there are no devices under that profile however it is clear that that profile is accruing Internet time (as shown in hostory and usage) - it is just impossible to block or limit. Also - when a new device joins the network there is no longer a notification and it does not appear on the app.

Until a week or so ago - all of these worked - any suggestions or is this their way of saying time to upgrade?
Thanks in advance

Message 4 of 23
la_diablita14
Aspirant

I am having this problem as well. YouTube is unlimited and my kiddo isn't doing her homework. I have tried setting the parent control to not allow, as well as entering common domains. Her school computer is able to get around it. Please help, it is leading to so many problems for her-- she can't resist YouTube's algorithm. The parent control Circle ap setting is NOT working properly. How can I block YouTube all together while giving her access to other sites she needs for school?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 23
Jamie12345
Tutor

have you tried setting a custom filter? Go in, and block the entire youtube domain.

Go to filter, click custom filter at the bottom and enter youtube.com

Message 6 of 23
la_diablita14
Aspirant

Yes, I have tried blocking various related YouTube domains using the custom filter including the following:

youtube.com

youtube-nocookie.com

googlevideo.com

ytimg.com

googleapis.com

subdomains.youtube.com

m.youtube.com

i.google.com

s.ytimg.com

youtubei.googlepis.com

I have not be able to find a good comprehensive list of all the YouTube domains, but I go on my kiddo's school computer and am still able to access videos easily despite these settings.

Message 7 of 23
Kevjos07
Initiate

We are having this same issue. This is why we purchased this router to assist with locking devices. Now it’s not working and causing issues. Has anyone been able to assist in a correction??
Message 8 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

LBR20 with 5 satellites; rbs40v x4 and rbs50v2 x1

circle premium went down for about a month last year, I suspect this year it has something with them renaming the app in the IOS store. Likely circle didn't coordinate with netgear again, and we need to wait on a firmware revision.

It would be nice if I could avoid the self-check devops lane at netgear shopping mall.

Yo, netgear devops, what gives. I own two copies of circle app in the appstore and neither one works, $50x2.

Please ask questions and resolve asap

I've done all this, except setting my router up as new (cough hack, tier 3 devops engineering support)

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001381012-Circle-1st-Generation-Passcode-Issues

when i disable parental controls the router barks it's not working and I can turn it back on via circle app, but no bueno on the premium features working (like last year)

details from the firmware page cc: @FURRYe38 @DexterJB 

connected devices: 75, 30+ IOT devices on guest without visibility to each other, the other are human interface systems used by family

Circle Parental Control Info Agent version: 2.3.0.4; APP Database version: 2.15.2

Check if a new firmware version is available on the Internet. 

TypeModel NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterLBR20LBR20V2.6.5.32No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS40VEmily OfficeV2.6.2.8No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS40VDaddy SofaV2.6.2.8No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS40VBoysV2.6.2.8No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS40VPlayroomV2.6.2.8No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50Daddy NewV2.7.3.22No new firmware version available.

Message 9 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

update: circle support has provided support, as they should since they ask us to email them in the app store

cc: @FURRYe38 @DexterJB 

On my end, the parently controls look enabled in the UI, but clearly they aren not based on the circle teams experience. Which means this may be/is a netgear software issue. I checked the debug.htm page, no bueno on the parental control settings. I may try the telnet option to check settings and set configuration since the GUI may not be presenting correctly:

Ref: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Disney-Circle-has-disappeared-on-Orbi-RBR50/m-p/1681304/highli...

From Circle:

Matthew W. (Circle)

Apr 14, 2022, 10:53 AM PDT

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for your reply.

In further investigation, it looks like Circle is not enabled on your router.

Here are the steps to enable Circle on your NETGEAR router:

1. Open an internet browser from a computer or mobile device that's connected to your router’s network.
  2. Go to http://www.routerlogin.net
  3. Enter the router admin's username and password. If you're new to logging into your router, please note that the user name and password are case-sensitive (meaning, upper and lower case matter). Here are the default username and password in case you haven't set up an admin on your router yet:
    • Default username: admin
    • Default password: password
  4. Select "Parental Controls".
  5. Find the option for Circle controls and tap the slider to enable them.
  6. Click the "Apply" button.

Hope this helps.

Matthew W. | Circle Support

Message 10 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

Hi All

I have learned from Circle that the information on app store from both circle and netgear, may be fraudulent or a scam.

I've posted to the appstore my concerns about the fraud/scam.

How may this be a scam

circle has OEMd their software into the Netgear system. Netgear offers premium features of circle in netgear, and co-sells them on the Appstore, including support.

Circle does not have the necessary access to netgear systems to provide support. Netgear does not provide the end-to-end support solution for an app and premium features they recommend we purchase with the OEM partner circle.

I strongly recommend netgear OEM and partner team quickly align with Circle to establish and end-to-end support solution for the premium features both netgear and circle sell and require for effectively management of the netgear devices.

In tandem I am following up via this article on circle, but I strongly recommend Netgear to be responsive to these support issues by quickly opening cases for "PAID FOR APPLICATIONS" that are usage based or monthly billing.

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003197671

cc: cc: @FURRYe38 @DexterJB 

Message 11 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

support case opened with netgear using the subscription service option as provided after a few back and forths with circle/app store regarding sale of software without clear path to obtaining support from Netgear and/or Circle

netGear support case 45930121 and 42847057 

I'm being asked for my hardware receipt and photof serial number. MORE SOON.

Message 12 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

and netGear went the fraudulent route by stating my software purchased on the appstore was not supported by telling me my physical device is not support, yet offered no refund or explanation why they sell a scam or fraud software product on the app store.

next up, breaking the system and engaging with Aura company officials due to the smearing Circle's name by netgear!

Message 13 of 23
ChristineT
Admin

Hello NETGEAR Commumity,

Thank you all for sharing your experience here. I have escalated this issue for further investigation. Please continue to share any additional details here and I'll be sure to share the details with our Support and Engineering Teams.

@Jamie12345 - Do I understand your comment correctly, that you performed a factory reset and that resolved the issue? 

I'll provide an update just as soon as it becomes available.

Best,

Christine T.

Message 14 of 23
Jamie12345
Tutor

It did the first time, but not the next time it happened. And I have been charged the yearly fee twice (in march of 2022) and it still never worked. I tried to get a refund from circle but was told I could not get one since it was charged through google play. So out over  $100 on that side. I also tried the actual circle device that you plug into the router, but the device did not work properly with the netgear router. (caused a delay on every single website, you had to reloade every website 2 or three times to get it to load.) So out an additional $129 on there. Spent too much time and money, so I've given up on circle and switched my kids to Verizon and just control everything through the Verizon family app. It is not as robust as circle when it comes to the wifi controls, but I am able to turn off their wifi AND data whenever I want with Verizon.

Message 15 of 23
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @Jamie12345 ,

Thank you for the additional information. We are still investigating the issue but I was able to confirm that cancellations along with refunds are indeed handled by the respective app store (Apple or Google Play). I wish I had better news for you. For your benefit and the benefit of others I have provided some links to helpful articles with additional information below.

How Do I Manage My Circle with NETGEAR Premium Subscription? 

Apple

• Click here for more information on how to cancel a subscription on your Apple device.
  • You can request a refund for an Apple in-app subscription or purchase by following the guidance here.

Google Play

The NETGEAR Team and I will continue to monitor this issue and provide updates as they become available.

Warm Regards,

Christine T.

Message 16 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

is your goal to Ghose(ghost and hose) customers of Netgear circle premium features by claiming your hardware doesn't work and I should buy your hardware support? Candidly, the softare flag is such a simple fix in the device, I find the need of hardware support for purchased App Store software hardly a value for you or me, nor anyone else in the community who buys it. Perhaps you should end of life the product and let it die out over a few years, at least then you'd have a clear reason not support the software. ref https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001380692-What-is-Premium-on-Circle-with-NETGEAR... and https://www.netguardstore.com/Netgear-EOL.asp

Message 17 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

15 days later you ask me for the same thing you asked me for on 4/24 - LOL

notNetgeaDevops_0-1652326174214.png

more GHOSE (GHOST HOSE) by NetGear

Message 18 of 23
Wolfepack88
Initiate

Have you received anything further on this?  I have the issue of youtube not being blocked on my sons computer even though it worked forever until just recently.  Did the whole shut it off on my orbi and start it back up, remove device from profile, reattach, reboot, software update, etc.  Is this just a ploy to force people into their other parental controls app???

Message 19 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

Yes I heard back from netgear and what they recommend is to buy a new router on Amazon and use the new router but return the one that they failed to support (in same box new one comes in) it’s a return program that Amazon supports with netgear

I’m attaching the netgear support team’s response where they support the purchase of a new unit and send your old unit back. put the old unit in the new box send it back to Amazon and then they just work it all out with netgear on the back end

Thanks to Bella and Mary for the easy return of failed hardware.
Message 20 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

I backed up my netgear config and restored it to the new router, but that's a disaster and doesn't work well at all.

The restored config falls flat and nothing works, it keeps rebooting, I'd call netgear but they don't pay me enough to run their devops 🙂

I've been adding one satellite at a time by turning them on, the config is there, but two of the satellites causes the new LBR20 to fail and reboot, loosing all the circle configuration - hah!

it's pretty much a wash to start over vs. restore the configuration.  I've only ever bought netgear at costco so i can return them if they become problematic. I'll be sure to do that in the future, but the amazon return program is great and will help meantime.

net -net 

if circle stops working and circle/netgear won't support you, but a new one, and return the old one. You'll need to setup the new one brand new, but the upside is you only need a couple of profiles for a couple of kids.

in any case, I'll see what costco has that's not netgear or circle then go from there as the customer journey with netgear and circle isn't great.

Message 21 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

Per the netgear support team

Do not ask for support as they do not support circle

Buy a new router and return the old one via the Amazon-netgear return program.

Special thanks to netgear for their support of Amazon customers!

See attached as upgrading to the new systems does t help with software support. Best to get new hardware!
Message 22 of 23
notNetgeaDevops
Aspirant

After two months of lackluster support from Netgear, and stellar support from the Aura Circle team, here are the solutions

if you need to engage netgear support, do not, it's not worth the hassle

If you're at the point where the awesome, but netgear hampered, circle support has not addressed the issue...do this

1. Reset your router, that's the only option

In my case, I have 6 satellites, a combination of 50s and 40v, the 40v are cheaper hence I buy them. The 40v I do not enable alexa because like all netgear hardware, the external vendor relationship software support is a devops trail not paved.

From circle I received the best support from Patrick and Matthew, and then a nice followup from Shannon. Kudos to Aura Company customer journey, they don't have authority over NetGear. After I did the amazon warrant option, buy new, and return old to amazon, circle restarted on the new system without issue. While i lost all my profile and device data, it's pretty minor in the scope of our 70+ IOT devices.

NetGear NPS support - 3, defintely a detractor here

Circle support - 10, definitely a support and it's unfortunate to have such a lackluster leader like netgear as a partner

Patrick Wilson (Circle)

Apr 25, 2022, 3:51 PM PDT

Hi Joshua,

My name is Patrick, and I oversee the support organization here at Circle. Matthew let me know about your request, and I wanted to help clarify a few things for you. Thank you for your questions and concerns here!

First, as Matthew mentioned earlier, frontline support for the Circle on NETGEAR experience is handled by the NETGEAR Customer Support team. I looked at the email that you received from NETGEAR (thank you for that), and it appears that you attempted to get support for the router, not for the Circle software subscription, which is why you received the response that you did. The hardware and software support paths are different for NETGEAR, so please refer to the guide that Matthew sent earlier to get your bearings: 

--> Guide to contact Circle on NETGEAR support <--

You may be curious why NETGEAR handles this, and the quickest explanation is simply that they know how their routers work far better than we do. Our team has extremely limited visibility into the inner workings of these devices, but obviously the NETGEAR team handles them day and and day out. The NETGEAR team is fully trained on Circle as it's been implemented on their routers.

Second, I do apologize for the confusion related to the App Store notes and will see what we can do to clarify that. 

Third, I can assure you that NETGEAR is not selling scam software on the App Store. The screenshot you provided in your previous email reflects a naming convention for the annual subscription that Circle uses to identify the NETGEAR side of things. Note that the Circle app is the icon at the top.

As this time, I would ask that you refer to the guide I linked above so that you can get the help you need to move forward with your concerns. We interact frequently with the NETGEAR team, so if you're not receiving the help you need, please let us know here and we can reach out to them. Just be sure to include your NETGEAR case number so that can point them in the right direction.

Thanks,

Patrick
Circle Support

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7