× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Debian Squeeze/Wheezy on Ultra 2?

norbolt
Aspirant

Debian Squeeze/Wheezy on Ultra 2?

Is there a way to get rid of all the netgear stuff and just install vanilla Debian on the Ultra 2?

I connected a serial adapter and I'm able to fiddle with the BIOS and select a USB stick as the startup device. However, when I save and exit the settings, they revert back to booting from the internal USB thing. My USB stick contains the Wheezy netinstall, which I want to run on the box.
Message 1 of 44
chirpa
Luminary

Re: Debian Squeeze/Wheezy on Ultra 2?

The BIOS on the 2/4bay always reverts to the internal flash. You could erase the /dev/md0 and unpack a newer Debian on it. You could then drop the kernel and initrd on the internal flash, a 128MB vfat.

To use your netinstall, hold the Backup button on boot will boot your external flash.
Message 2 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

Trying to boot with the netinstall on a USB stick, that boots on my desktop machine, I get the BIOS output and then just a couple of lines of underscores.
No menu, no install. It just hangs there 😕
Message 3 of 44
chirpa
Luminary

It is probably going into VGA mode, which you won't see over serial. Find the kernel args to load it in 80x25 text mode.
Message 4 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

That seems like it was exactly what was happening. The boot menu was drawing in a mode the serial console didn't like very well. My solution was to repeatedly bang the escape key during boot, while holding down the backup button as you said, until the console said "Aborted." and "boot: "

At that prompt, "install video=off console=ttyS0,9600n8" kicked it into serial install mode, with working menus and everything. Yes, for some reason the RNDP200U seems to run at 9600 baud by default. Also, increasing the baud rate in the BIOS gave random garbage at random points on the screen, so I kept it at 9600. video=off may not be strictly needed, but it has the nice side effect of disabling the screen TTY's in inittab by default, and I can't use those without a screen anyway.

I put /boot on ext3 on the internal USB storage, / on an inserted harddrive and made sure to run grub-install on /dev/sdc (which was the internal USB) instead of /dev/sda (the first harddrive).

In short, my RNDP200U now runs Debian Wheezy 64-bit, and I really really really need to run off to bed.

Thanks a bunch! 😄
Message 5 of 44
cabelo
Aspirant

Hi, can you please share the details for the serial pinout on the Ultras?
Thanks
Message 6 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

There's not much to share in that regard, as the port is readily available on the back of the unit. When viewed from the back, the ground pin is at your left, vcc at your right (most adapters don't need that connected). RX and TX are in the middle. I forget which is which, but you have a 50% chance to get it right and won't break anything by trying 🙂

Oh, and they communicate on 9600 baud by default.
Message 7 of 44
chirpa
Luminary

There is info around the web covering the serial port layout.

http://netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/Rea ... al_Console

All x86 based NAS currently use 9600 8N1 No Flow Control – Some are TTL level UART, some are RS232
All Marvell ARM based NAS use 115200 8N1 No Flow Control – All TTL Level UART
All Infrant Sparc based NAS use 9600 8N1 No Flow Control – All TTL level UART
Message 8 of 44
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ReadyNAS OS uses Debian Wheezy/Sid 64-bit. It may be worth considering if you don't need Vanilla Debian.
Message 9 of 44
cabelo
Aspirant

Thanks guys!!!
Installing ubuntu server right now but it's not recognising the network card
Message 10 of 44
chirpa
Luminary

It should be a sk98lin/sky2 driver.
Message 11 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

That's weird. Debian Wheezy found it instantly. Which kernel?
Message 12 of 44
mfe_
Tutor

I suppose this can also be done with the ReadyNAS Duo?

I found this:

http://debugmo.de/2007/07/running-own-c ... -readynas/
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68660
Message 13 of 44
cabelo
Aspirant

Hi Norbolt,

does the wheezy installer find it for you?
I've tried both ubuntu 12.04.2 (kernel 3.5) and wheezy and both installer failled.
after installing ubuntu with sky2 driver network doesn't work, I get no lights on the card and dmesg says something like "link not ready".
reverting to raidator fix the prob so I assume it's not the HW.
any help is appreciated.

thanks
Message 14 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

The Wheezy installer found both network ports in my Ultra 2 without any hassle, and asked which one to use during install, as expected.
It's been running smoothly 24/7 since the install.
Message 15 of 44
cabelo
Aspirant

yeap, the installer finds both ports (ubuntu and debian) but when I try to configure it with dhcp it fails 😞
Message 16 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

All I can say is that it worked for me...
Perhaps try sniffing the traffic with Wireshark or similar?
See if it's actually sending something?
Or check the logs on your DHCP server, if available.
Message 17 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

Let me know if you want a list of my loaded modules or something. Though if you own an Ultra 2, the Wheezy installer *should* work for you too...
Message 18 of 44
mangrove
Apprentice

A step-by-step of this procedure would be pretty nice... 🙂

Can the devices be restored by RAIDAR even if the USB partition is overwritten?
Message 19 of 44
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you wipe the Internal flash you would need to make use of USB Boot Recovery to restore it but the EEPROM data would be lost. Without the EEPROM data RAIDiator x86 4.2.x won't work.
Message 20 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

mangrove wrote:
A step-by-step of this procedure would be pretty nice... 🙂

1. connect serial cable - verify that you can access the bios and similar over it
2. make an netinstall x86 debian usb stick - verify that it can boot another x86 machine
3. with serial cable connected and usb stick inserted, boot the ultra 2 with the backup-button on the unit held down to boot from usb. repeatedly hit the escape key on your keyboard while doing this to get the "boot:" prompt
4. type in "install video=off console=ttyS0,9600n8" (no quotes) and run through the installer as usual
5. profit
Message 21 of 44
mangrove
Apprentice

norbolt wrote:
5. profit

And then, just
grub-install /dev/sdc

?

Why aren't more people doing this? :?:
Message 22 of 44
mangrove
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:
If you wipe the Internal flash you would need to make use of USB Boot Recovery to restore it but the EEPROM data would be lost. Without the EEPROM data RAIDiator x86 4.2.x won't work.

Thanks. 6.x works though?
Message 23 of 44
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. 6.x works, I think.
Message 24 of 44
norbolt
Aspirant

mangrove wrote:

And then, just