Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blocking ports

Twille
Aspirant

Blocking ports

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to block ports on this router? I have found options to 'Block sites' and to add 'Firewall rules'.

The Firewall rules has two sections; there are options under Advanced, Security, to 'Add custom service' with a port number. There is also an option, under 'Outbound Services', to add, edit or delete a 'Service name' and there is a space to add a port number. But the only action possible with this, is to 'Always ALLOW', and there is no option to Block.

Block sites allows for blocking a website address or a word associated with a site or filename, but no options to block ports. 

So how do I block ports?  Many thanks.

Model: DGN2200v4|N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
Twille
Aspirant

Re: Blocking ports

Hello, 

Having looked at the forums again I see that there was a problem blocking ports with the DGN2200v3,  the version before the model I have, the DGN2200v4. 

The problem with the DGN2200v3 seems unresolved and possibly a design fault. If so, was this problem resolved by the time the DGN2200v4 model was released?

If I cannot block ports with this model, I'll have to buy a new router and am at present without secure internet connection at home.

The key problem is that the place where I should be able to block ports, under 'Firewall rules', has an option to 'Always ALLOW' but there is no option to 'BLOCK'. 

Any help very much appreciated.

Message 2 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Twille

The router would have a option called Block Services if it was able to do this I linked a article showing this the DGN2200V3 may not have this feature.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20483/related/1?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 3 of 4
Twille
Aspirant

Thanks, I have the DGN2200v4 and it has a Blocked Services facility,  the same as the DGN2200v3, but no choice to block ports, so maybe as you say it is not possible on this model. That is helpful to know.

Iam also looking for a list of ports open after a factory reset, as I have reset the router twice and still there are ports open in the 40000 to 50000 range. Should I start a new post with the question or is it ok here?

Thanks again, I value your help.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7