Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting D7800 to BT Master Socket Question

the_goon
Aspirant

Connecting D7800 to BT Master Socket Question

Hi

Looking at getting the D7800, but have a quick question before I do. I have a fibre VDSL connection (FTTC).

My BT master socket has a connection that takes both an RJ11 cable (standard square phone cable) and a RJ45 (Ethernet cable) in the same hole (as well as a phone socket of course). At the moment, I have an RJ11 > RJ11 cable connected from the socket to my Draytek modem/router.

Can I use an RJ45>RJ45 cable from the BT master socket to the D7800's "internet port"? Will the D7800 know that it's receiving a raw VDSL signal and use the internal modem on this signal? If I connect the D7800 to the socket via a RJ11 > RJ11 cable, it will obviously know that it needs to use the internal modem, but I'm unsure if the same applies via the RJ45 "Internet" connection. Or is it the case that the RJ45 "internet" connection on the D7800 is for connections coming from an external, separate modem, so won't pass through the internal modem?

Many Thanks in advance

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Connecting D7800 to BT Master Socket Question

Can I use an RJ45>RJ45 cable from the BT master socket to the D7800's "internet port"? Will the D7800 know that it's receiving a raw VDSL signal and use the internal modem on this signal?

No to both questions.

The BT master socket is for a phone and a modem. It is the same as the old ADSL filter/splitter.

You have to plug your modem into what you call the RJ45.

Or is it the case that the RJ45 "internet" connection on the D7800 is for connections coming from an external, separate modem, so won't pass through the internal modem?

Yes.

Message 2 of 4
the_goon
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Can I use an RJ45>RJ45 cable from the BT master socket to the D7800's "internet port"? Will the D7800 know that it's receiving a raw VDSL signal and use the internal modem on this signal?

No to both questions.

The BT master socket is for a phone and a modem. It is the same as the old ADSL filter/splitter.

You have to plug your modem into what you call the RJ45.

Or is it the case that the RJ45 "internet" connection on the D7800 is for connections coming from an external, separate modem, so won't pass through the internal modem?

Yes.

"You have to plug your modem into what you call the RJ45."

The D7800 is a modem though! I can connect it via RJ11 to the "vdsl" port on the D7800, and that'll work fine. It's whether the D7800 will accept the connection via the RJ45 "internet" port.

The manual states.. "Note You can use either the Internet port or the DSL port for WAN connectivity", but it's not clear whether it'll automatically detect the requirement of the internal modem.

Message 3 of 4

@the_goon wrote:
It's whether the D7800 will accept the connection via the RJ45 "internet" port.

No. See above. The VDSL socket on your phone line isn't an RJ45 port, even though it may look like one.

To get anything out of your phone line you need a modem. The D7800 is the modem.

If you could get the Internet out of the VDSL socket then you would not need a modem. A router would do it.

The Internet (WAN) socket on the D7800 does what it says. It connects the D7800 to the Internet from a modem. In effect, it turns your modem into a router.

The VDSL socket on the wall in not a modem. Nor is there one up the road in the FTTC box.

@the_goon wrote:
The manual states.. "Note You can use either the Internet port or the DSL port for WAN connectivity", but it's not clear whether it'll automatically detect the requirement of the internal modem.

It is clear to me. The Internet/WAN port of your D7800 can do nothing with a DSL signal.

Now, it you have another modem, from BT for example, you can take the Internet output from that and plug it into the Internet/WAN socket on the D7800 and use the D7800 as a router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7