Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection Problem.

Siber
Aspirant

Connection Problem.

I cannot get a connection with the internet. The DSL connection is fine on the old modem but on this one it save there is no DSL connection, and shows as cable unplugged. How do I fis this?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Re: Connection Problem.

There are troubleshooting tips and stuff in the manual:

D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

First check that the ADSL line is plugged into the right port on the back of the modem.

If that doesn't work you'll have to tell people a bit more about the things that you have tried and if you have managed to access the router through the web interface.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 9
egrose56
Guide

I have experienced similar issues.  My D7000 worked fine out of the box with my ATT DSL and Firmware/GUI version V1.0.0.14. At one point I wished to upgrade the firmware but could not connect to the internet.  I reset the firmware back to V...14 and all worked again.  I have since tried several of the upgrade options with the same result.  After the last try I reset to the original version, then worked up the firmware upgrade options.  I was able to connect for the last time at V...18.  So, I am back at the original version.

I am using a Windows 10 laptop. I am wired from the DSL port in the wall directly to the D7000.  When I upgrade (past V...18) the Internet Light is dark.  It seems likely that something in the software/firmware changed in the version after 18 and never got fixed.  I have tried to contact support on one of the earlier upgrades but could not get them to continue the discussion to resolution.  I have noted pretty serious problems with the software (i.e. the access control check box won't stay checked in some versions) and hope they get some better testers prior to releasing firmware updates.  I have spent more than twenty hours trying to upgrade past the original version and am ready to spend much more money on a more reliable product even if I have to move to another manufacturer.

Message 3 of 9

Which version of the firmware did you try?

There have been six since the initial release:

The latest is Firmware Version 1.0.1.42.

D7000 Firmware Version 1.0.1.42 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If it doesn't work to go straight to the latest version, it can help to make incremental increases. One step at a time woulds be slow, but it would show you where it goes wrong.

Message 4 of 9
Siber
Aspirant

I should explain myself a little better. I am in my mid 40's with little experience of computers, I remember my school getting a BBC Basic when I was 12 lol. I am using a HP Pavillion laptop, and my internet link is a telephone line broadband connection from fuel broadband with the TG582N router they provided, its very slow, about 300N BPS, and I was told this router is a lot faster. My network consists of the laptop, the router, and a 3TB WM MyCloud I use on a wi-fi connection for storage. I have got a 500GB SSD card for the laptop to replace the hard drive but I am waiting for a mate of mine who lives in Scotland to invite me up so her partner can fit it for me! Basically, when it comes to computers its sort of like when someone asks you for car advice, you ask what they want, and they reply " a red one ", I really am that bad! Im not thick, worked with some high power single seater racing cars, but computers are not my area, a pre teen schoolchild who grew up with them will run rings around me. Its perfectly OK to have a laugh and take the mick, I know when I am out of my depth!

Having been told my router was crap ( technical term lol ), I had a look around on the net, downloaded a few magazines to read, tried to interpret the language into something I could understand, then ordered this one from Amazon. Foolishly I expected to be able to unplug the old one, plug in the new one and it would all work, I can hear you all laughing at me by now. My questions are fairly basic. Is this decice compatable with my internet provider? Why does it say there is no connector plugged in? Do I need a modem or any other bit of kit between the phone line and the router? Is there anyway it can be made to work? Should I ask my friend to sweet talk her boyfriend into helping me, or would I be better off just giving up and getting BT broadband instead who are offering a much faster router for only slightly more per month than I am currently paying? If nothing else, I hope my failures and total lack of talent from this stone age dinasaur at least gives all you young tech savvy folks a laugh at my expense!

Message 5 of 9

@Siber wrote:

I should explain myself a little better. I am in my mid 40's with little experience of computers, I remember my school getting a BBC Basic when I was 12 lol.

I am 30 years older than you! So age is no barrier to getting these things to work.

@Siber wrote:
Do I need a modem or any other bit of kit between the phone line and the router?

The D7000 is a modem/router. Have you been through the stup guide and manual?

The Quick Start guide is pretty clear on what you need to do.

Fuel broadband is a new one on me. Most of these smaller suppliers just plug into the BT wholesale network. But telephone line broadband could be ADSL or VDSL, which is a lot faster and is what BT calls Infinity. Fortunately, your modem does both.

Looking at Fuel's website, it looks a bit tinpot, with no guidance on how you login to the internet. You need that information so that you can feed it into your new modem/router.

By the way, with your network you could have got away with something much less powerful. But you are future proof and can add all sorts of stuff to it.Your modem is also a heck of a lot better than the "free" modem that BT will send if you sign up to it. My BT modem is still in its shrink wrap.

Message 6 of 9
egrose56
Guide

As I said in the last post, I have tried each upgrade as they have been introduced.  After each try I had to go back to V..14.  After no success with versio..38, I started at V..14 and applied each on top of the other.  I lost internet connectivity on the version after V..18. Version..42 had the same result as the iterations before.

I have tried the wizard (which didn't even give me the full combo box for region in version..42!) and manually, for each version.  I cannot believe I am the only one having this problem!!!  You will definitely be a hero if you can solve this one!

Message 7 of 9

@egrose56 wrote:

As I said in the last post, ..

Not really. Your account was a bit confusing. To me at least. Perhaps it is a language thing.

Message 8 of 9
egrose56
Guide

My apologies - I do try to be concise - maybe I trimmed down too much.  I am US English...are you British?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7