Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6200 – Connected to Ethernet port in the wall, no internet

Retired_Member
Not applicable

D6200 – Connected to Ethernet port in the wall, no internet

Good morning,

I just moved in a student dorm room and I have problems setting up a wireless connection. I already contacted the broadband provider and, connecting the laptop to the ethernet port in the wall with a wired connection, Internet works; I have problems setting up the router, which is our old D6200 – WiFi DSL Modem Router that I brought from home (where it was working fine). I connected the router to the Ethernet port in the wall, but the internet LED remains orange. I can connect to the network with my laptop, but Internet does not work. I do not know if it may be the reason, but I moved to another country. How can I solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Model: D6200v2|AC1200 WiFi DSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: D6200 – Connected to Ethernet port in the wall, no internet

@Retired_Member wrote:

I just moved in a student dorm room and I have problems setting up a wireless connection. I already contacted the broadband provider and, connecting the laptop to the ethernet port in the wall with a wired connection, Internet works

What sort of Internet is this? It sounds like plain Ethernet rarer than DSL or Cable.

If so, then your D6200 needs tweaking if it can work at all.

The D6200 is a modem/router. It is designed to connect to a DSL service over an old style telephone line.

You have two options with it. Bypass the modem bit and use it in router only mode, or set it up as a wireless access point (AP).

Your choice depends on the first question, what sort of Internet do you have? If the wire in your room comes out of a router, then try the AP route.

I have no idea what this means:

@Retired_Member wrote:

I can connect to the network with my laptop, but Internet does not work.

You can connect the laptop with the D6200?

The bottom line is that your D6200 is not designed for your use. It might work, but we don't know what your Internet connection is, or even what you want the router to do. Ethernet? Wifi?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7