Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 MTU Settings

steviep94
Tutor

D7000 MTU Settings

I'm having an issue with intermittant dropouts with my D7000 router (predominantly on my LG G4 phone but it's also happened a couple of times with my laptop via WiFi too!)

I've done a bit of reading and one suggestion is to drop the MTU Size until I can ping yahoo.com without issue so I opened up a command prompt and typed "ping yahoo.com -f -l 14xx" to see what the results were.

My issue is that I can successfully get 4 replies at any given setting for 4 or 5 attempts and then it sudddenly fails on one or more of the tests!?!?!

Am I doing this test correctly and is there a setting I shouldn't drop below in terms of performance??

Thanks for any pointers....

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D7000 MTU Settings

Hello Steviep94

Here is a article on how to do this properly.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19863?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
steviep94
Tutor

Thanks for the reply (sorry it's taken so long for me to look at this!)

The procedure you suggest is what I've already been doing - and unfortunately the problem still persists!

What I can't get my head around is that when I run the ping test it will work fine at one particular value (1458 at the moment) but  then out of the blue, one of the four tests will "time out" rather than fragment!?!?! What does this mean? Is it the same as a "failure" and I should continue to reduce the MTU value until this doesn't happen? (what are the disadvantages of lowering the value too much??)

Thanks for any continued help..... (this is still driving me mad - it's not specific to my phone because I've changed phones recently and it's still happening - the wifi will say its connected but there is no connection to the internet - I have to disable and re-activate the wifi to get the connection back and other devices don't drop at the same time!?!?!)

Message 3 of 4
steviep94
Tutor

I know I've left a long time since my last post but I'm still having disconnect issues with my mobile (and I've changed to a Galaxy S7 from my LG phone since the OP)

I'm currently running the 1.0.1.42 firmware and have been reading that some people are having issues with the .44 firmware so I'm reluctant to "upgrade" if I'm not certain it will fix my issue!

I'm tempted to go to the .44 firmware and them do a reset but it does mean losing all of my designated IP addresses and any other saved changes!

Anyone got any suggestions before I go down this route??

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7